Re: [TalkAntietam] McClellan's after action reports

  • Tom Shay
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 1, 2007
      Here are some excerpts from TAF that corroborate what I had stated about Mac's plan:

      Pages 347-348:
      "The opening attack would not continue westward after crossing the Antietam to discover the end of the Confederate line approaching the river. Instead, it would bear to its own left (east), keeping near the creek and aim for the end of the heights at the point where Lee's line turned west in front of the Piper farm. Thus, McClellan's object on the left was the hinge in the Confederate line, where D.H. Hill's division bent from facing the Antietam and ran westward to join the Hagerstown Pike."

      Message 35 of 35 , Feb 1, 2007
        I think this is amazing. It sure isn't talked about much.

        Stephen