Antietam tour report: West Woods

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2001
      During a break, I spoke with a ranger who said is working on a future
      program regarding Greene's attack. A very much needed topic!

      The second tour on Saturday was hosted by Ranger Mike Weinstein and focused
      on Sedgwick's attack. We began at the Dunker Church and headed north to the
      Philadelphia Brigade monument. We proceeded to the west end of the parking
      lot and the Mike led us along some paths that were essentially deer trails as
      we wound our way north to Starke Ave. Here we discussed The Ledge which
      provided cover for various Fed and Reb units as the battle progressed.

      We then continued north along the trail, which is actually macadamized at
      this point! I had never stumbled across this path, which Mike says was part
      of an old picnic area long ago. Anyone have more details? The trail led
      almost to northern tip of West Woods' middle section.

      We crossed Route 65 and re-entered the woods near three battlefield tablets.
      This trek brought us onto base of Hauser Ridge at 1st Minn's position. Few
      visitors ever see this area. Mike provided copies of a map detailing unit
      positions and topographical lines. Very helpful! We then headed south,
      crossed a wheatfield, and came upon the Mary Locher farm (aka Poffenberger).
      This was my first look at the cabin up close. The site also includes an
      underground springhouse. Great stop!

      I had tripped over some barbed wire fencing which (later in the day) caused
      me great pain to walk!

      We re-crossed the highway and cut short the end of this tour to join the next
      hike.