Re: [TalkAntietam] Where did Rebels water their horses?

  • T.R.Livesey
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2007

      There are 2 potential sources of water that I can think of off the top of my
      head, although neither is on the northern portion of the battlefield.

      The first is Town Run, which starts at the Great Spring just south of Sharpsburg
      Town Center and more or less follows the Burnside Bridge Road to the Antietam.
      Big enough to power the Stone Mill.

      The other is a large gully which runs from approximately where the Sunken Road
      meets Rt 65 and runs southeast, through Piper's Orchard, crosses the Boonsboro
      Pike right near where the modern picnic area is, and then drains into the
      Antietam. I don't know how much water actually drained through this gully in
      1862, but today it is definitely a water channel. You can view it best at the
      picnic area looking south, or you can see where it crosses rt 34 by walking maybe
      100 feet from the picnic area up rt 34 back toward town. I have always wondered
      if this was a active channel in 1862, but I have never seen any reference to any
      kind of a bridge or anything where it crosses the Boonsboro Pike.

      T.R. Livesey
      tlivesey@...

      On Mon Jan 29 13:08 , RoteBaron@... sent:

      >In regard to the Battle of Antietam, I've never seen the issue of water
      availability addressed.
      >The Rebel forces that initially arrived on the field (Sept 15 & 16) would have
      been there for 3+ days before crossing back into VA. With the weather being warm
      and so much activity occuring, clearly those animals got thirsty.
      >Where were the cav and artillery horses of Stuart's command, SD Lee's artillery
      horses, etc able to water their horses? Did the local wells suffice? Did they
      take them down to the Potomac? I don't recall any streams on the field that would
      provide a source for this large number of horses.

      TalkAntietam-digest@yahoogroups.com','','','')">TalkAntietam-digest@yahoogroups.com

      TalkAntietam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com','','','')">TalkAntietam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com