Re: [TalkAntietam] Where did Rebels water their horses?

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2007
      I remember being told recently that, as Tom says, the pond was not
      there.

      Stephen

      On Monday, January 29, 2007, at 03:08 PM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

      > Tom,
      > The Potomac was close enough for many of the animals, only 1/2 mile
      > from Stuart's position on Nicodemus farm. Also many references are
      > made to the large town spring one block south of Main St. It is still
      > there, and provides the small stream that leads through town down past
      > the Stone House & Mill to form the run that empties into Antietam
      > Creek just above Burnside bridge. Also, all the farms had a well, and
      > many had several wells. The current owner of one farm is excavating
      > his wells, as he is sure that there are discarded weapons in them. I
      > do not think the pond was there, but want to check sources to be sure.
      > Tom Clemens
    • T.R.Livesey
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 29, 2007

        There are 2 potential sources of water that I can think of off the top of my
        head, although neither is on the northern portion of the battlefield.

        The first is Town Run, which starts at the Great Spring just south of Sharpsburg
        Town Center and more or less follows the Burnside Bridge Road to the Antietam.
        Big enough to power the Stone Mill.

        The other is a large gully which runs from approximately where the Sunken Road
        meets Rt 65 and runs southeast, through Piper's Orchard, crosses the Boonsboro
        Pike right near where the modern picnic area is, and then drains into the
        Antietam. I don't know how much water actually drained through this gully in
        1862, but today it is definitely a water channel. You can view it best at the
        picnic area looking south, or you can see where it crosses rt 34 by walking maybe
        100 feet from the picnic area up rt 34 back toward town. I have always wondered
        if this was a active channel in 1862, but I have never seen any reference to any
        kind of a bridge or anything where it crosses the Boonsboro Pike.

        T.R. Livesey
        tlivesey@...

        On Mon Jan 29 13:08 , RoteBaron@... sent:

        >In regard to the Battle of Antietam, I've never seen the issue of water
        availability addressed.
        >The Rebel forces that initially arrived on the field (Sept 15 & 16) would have
        been there for 3+ days before crossing back into VA. With the weather being warm
        and so much activity occuring, clearly those animals got thirsty.
        >Where were the cav and artillery horses of Stuart's command, SD Lee's artillery
        horses, etc able to water their horses? Did the local wells suffice? Did they
        take them down to the Potomac? I don't recall any streams on the field that would
        provide a source for this large number of horses.

        TalkAntietam-digest@yahoogroups.com','','','')">TalkAntietam-digest@yahoogroups.com

        TalkAntietam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com','','','')">TalkAntietam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com