Antietam today

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2001
      I arrived at Antietam battlefield at noon today. The NPS has decided to alter
      Saturday's torchlight event by not portraying the wounded and suffering as
      part of their vignettes.

      I spoke with rangers about our recent discussion regarding cornfields such as
      Miller's plot. I was told the corn was planted 21 1/2 inches apart. This
      allowed for access by the pickers (slaves, children, etc). We wondered
      whether it was feed corn. The ranger suggested further info about corn
      plantings is at Landis Valley Farm Musuem in Lancaster, PA. There is no
      "study" available specific to Miller's field.

      I hiked from Mumma Farm over to Roulette Farm, and then east toward creek
      (not reached due to fencing!). Then I hiked straight up slope to Sunken Road.
      Twas a beautiful sunny day as I followed the route of the men of Erin.

      Mumma Farm is under some serious re-conditioning and was off limits.

      I attended the somber anniversary ceremony at 6 PM at Dunker Church, Supt
      Howard and Ranger Paul Chiles gave talks and wore (as did all rangers) their
      badges with black bands across.

      Tonight, a great presentation was given at VC in which we all wore 3-D and
      viewed the amazing photos of Brady, Gardner, etc provided by Bob Zeller.

      I spoke with Ted Alexander and he noted there are plans to have a seminar on
      the Irish Brigade planned for next spring. It would include Manassas,
      Fredericksburg, and Antietam. He noted Joe Bilby and others may be involved.

      At 7 AM tomorrow I will join the hikes of the battlefield!

      Tom Shay - Cressona, PA