Re: [TalkAntietam] Artillery Question

  • Cory Newby
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 20, 2007

      I love the new Antietam web site, but those bottom-of-the-page factoids are not always accurate. This is a cut-and-paste from one seen today:

      William McKinley served at Antietam as a Commissary Sergeant in the
      23rd Ohio Infantry before becoming the nation’s 24th President. A
      monument to him at Antietam was dedicated in his memory on October 13,
      1903, two years after he was assisinated.

      Unfortunately, McKinley was the 25th President and "assassinated" is mis-spelled.

      Cory Newby

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 21, 2007
        Cory,

        I forwarded your comments to Stephanie Gray at Antietam NPS.
        Thanks for pointing them out.

        I love the new Antietam web site, but those bottom-of-the-page factoids are not always accurate. This is a cut-and-paste from one seen today:

        William McKinley served at Antietam as a Commissary Sergeant in the
        23rd Ohio Infantry before becoming the nation's 24th President. A
        monument to him at Antietam was dedicated in his memory on October 13,
        1903, two years after he was assisinated.

        Unfortunately, McKinley was the 25th President and "assassinated" is mis-spelled.

        Cory Newby

        Visit Your Group
        a.. Civil war
        b.. American civil war
        c.. Civil war history
        d.. Civil war battles
        e.. American civil war book
        Yahoo! News
        Adventure Beat

        Travel the world

        with Richard Bangs

        Yahoo! TV
        The Apprentice

        Get exclusive clips,

        Recaps & photos.

        Y! GeoCities
        Be Vocal

        Publish your opi-

        nions with a blog.
        .

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 22, 2007
          Cory;

          Tom said he has already taken care of this..........

          God. --Anonymous

          I've not seen the 50,000 figure in print, that I can recall. I thought

          at first that the number must be way too high, but perhaps not.
          Using

          Johnson/Anderson figures for guns at Sharpsburg on the 17th as 542
          (301

          Fed, 241 Confed), 50 000 is just under 100 rounds per gun present.

          This still sounds like a lot, but is not out of the question. Anybody

          got decent stats? Tom?

          Brian

          <!--

          #ygrp-mlmsg
          {font-size:13px;font-family:arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;}
          #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99%
          arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;}
          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
          #ygrp-text{
          font-family:Georgia;
          }
          #ygrp-text p{
          margin:0 0 1em 0;
          }
          #ygrp-tpmsgs{
          font-family:Arial;
          clear:both;
          }
          #ygrp-vitnav{
          padding-top:10px;
          font-family:Verdana;
          font-size:77%;
          margin:0;
          }
          #ygrp-vitnav a{
          padding:0 1px;
          }
          #ygrp-actbar{
          clear:both;
          margin:25px 0;
          white-space:nowrap;
          color:#666;
          text-align:right;
          }
          #ygrp-actbar .left{
          float:left;
          white-space:nowrap;
          }
          .bld{font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-grft{
          font-family:Verdana;
          font-size:77%;
          padding:15px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-ft{
          font-family:verdana;
          font-size:77%;
          border-top:1px solid #666;
          padding:5px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
          padding-bottom:10px;
          }

          #ygrp-vital{
          background-color:#e0ecee;
          margin-bottom:20px;
          padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
          }
          #ygrp-vital #vithd{
          font-size:77%;
          font-family:Verdana;
          font-weight:bold;
          color:#333;
          text-transform:uppercase;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul{
          padding:0;
          margin:2px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li{
          list-style-type:none;
          clear:both;
          border:1px solid #e0ecee;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
          font-weight:bold;
          color:#ff7900;
          float:right;
          width:2em;
          text-align:right;
          padding-right:.5em;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
          font-weight:bold;
          }
          #ygrp-vital a {
          text-decoration:none;
          }

          #ygrp-vital a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;
          }

          #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
          color:#999;
          font-size:77%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
          padding:6px 13px;
          background-color:#e0ecee;
          margin-bottom:20px;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
          padding:0 0 0 8px;
          margin:0;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
          list-style-type:square;
          padding:6px 0;
          font-size:77%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
          text-decoration:none;
          font-size:130%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
          background-color:#eee;
          margin-bottom:20px;
          padding:0 8px;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
          padding:8px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
          font-family:Arial;
          font-weight:bold;
          color:#628c2a;
          font-size:100%;
          line-height:122%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
          text-decoration:none;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
          margin:0;
          }
          o {font-size:0;}
          .MsoNormal {
          margin:0 0 0 0;
          }
          #ygrp-text tt{
          font-size:120%;
          }
          blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
          .replbq {margin:4;}
          -->

        • Cory Newby
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 26, 2007
            Gerry, Tom,

            I didn't mean to sound overly critical -- I only intended to warn caution when using those factoids as sources (relevant to the original artillery question). Typos happen. Even in light of the typos (which will be flushed out), the new NPS site is a considerable enhancement from its previous version.

            Best Regards,
            Cory Newby

            Tom said he has already taken care of this........ ..

            God. --Anonymous

            I've not seen the 50,000 figure in print, that I can recall. I thought

            at first that the number must be way too high, but perhaps not.
            Using

            Johnson/Anderson figures for guns at Sharpsburg on the 17th as 542
            (301

            Fed, 241 Confed), 50 000 is just under 100 rounds per gun present.

            This still sounds like a lot, but is not out of the question. Anybody

            got decent stats? Tom?

            Brian

            <!--

            #ygrp-mlmsg
            {font-size:13px; font-family: arial,helvetica, clean,sans- serif;}
            #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit; font:100% ;}
[...]

            Be a PS3 game guru.
            Get your game face on with the latest PS3 news and previews at Yahoo!
            Games.
            http://videogames. yahoo.com/ platform? platform= 120121

          • Mark A. Pflum
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 26, 2007
              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Darmok4349@... wrote:

              > Thanks,
              >
              > Any Idea on how to find out what the NPS source for this information
              is?

              > Mike

              Well, I can't say that this figure is definitive or nay. However, if
              you take into consideration that every piece that went into action
              during the battle had between 128 (12Pdr.) and 200 (10Pdr. and 3")
              rounds with it, and that most of them expended at least 80% of their
              ammunition, you find that the figure's truth is entirely possible.

              This also is assuming that none of the caissons were sent to the rear
              to refill . . .

              Mark A. Pflum
              Ringgold !!!
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 27, 2007
                I think Mark has it right. If someone REALLY wanted to know they could go to the National Archives and pull out the quarterly returns for the units involved, see what their supply of ammo was on Sept. 1 and then compare to Jan. 1 1863 and see what re-supply they report. I doubt anybody at the park did that, I think it is a general figure. A few of the after-action reports mention the amount of ammo expended, Tompkins RI for example expended somewhere around 1,100 rounds for six guns. The 20 pdr. Parrotts expended nearly all their ammo, etc. so the figure is likely an accurate estimate.

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 27, 2007
                  Dear Mark,

                  Glad to hear from you after all this time! Hope you are healthy, etc.

                  God. --Anonymous