Re: [TalkAntietam] Crossing the Potomac

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 14, 2007

      Thanks. I was wondering about the name change. I just saw an old map
      and it had an arrow towards Conrad's Ferry. I'm thinking, sheesh, not
      ANOTHER crossing!

      Stephen

      On Sunday, January 14, 2007, at 04:27 PM, Thomas Clemens wrote:

      > I am convinced that the cavalry crossed behind Jackson at White's Ford.
      > it may be confusing for some since there is a White's Ferry too, and of
      > course Edward's Ferry. But the crossing of cavalry at either Ferry
      > would be time consuming. The ford could be crossed quickly and easily,
      > although following the infantry would be a delay. But even cavalry
      > could not wade the Ferries, so I think the sign is misleading. By the
      > way, Wite's Ferry was called Conrad's Ferry at the time.

    • Cory Newby
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 20, 2007

        I love the new Antietam web site, but those bottom-of-the-page factoids are not always accurate. This is a cut-and-paste from one seen today:

        William McKinley served at Antietam as a Commissary Sergeant in the
        23rd Ohio Infantry before becoming the nationÂ’s 24th President. A
        monument to him at Antietam was dedicated in his memory on October 13,
        1903, two years after he was assisinated.

        Unfortunately, McKinley was the 25th President and "assassinated" is mis-spelled.

        Cory Newby

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 21, 2007
          Cory,

          I forwarded your comments to Stephanie Gray at Antietam NPS.
          Thanks for pointing them out.

          I love the new Antietam web site, but those bottom-of-the-page factoids are not always accurate. This is a cut-and-paste from one seen today:

          William McKinley served at Antietam as a Commissary Sergeant in the
          23rd Ohio Infantry before becoming the nation's 24th President. A
          monument to him at Antietam was dedicated in his memory on October 13,
          1903, two years after he was assisinated.

          Unfortunately, McKinley was the 25th President and "assassinated" is mis-spelled.

          Cory Newby

          Visit Your Group
          a.. Civil war
          b.. American civil war
          c.. Civil war history
          d.. Civil war battles
          e.. American civil war book
          Yahoo! News
          Adventure Beat

          Travel the world

          with Richard Bangs

          Yahoo! TV
          The Apprentice

          Get exclusive clips,

          Recaps & photos.

          Y! GeoCities
          Be Vocal

          Publish your opi-

          nions with a blog.
          .

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 22, 2007
            Cory;

            Tom said he has already taken care of this..........

            God. --Anonymous

            I've not seen the 50,000 figure in print, that I can recall. I thought

            at first that the number must be way too high, but perhaps not.
            Using

            Johnson/Anderson figures for guns at Sharpsburg on the 17th as 542
            (301

            Fed, 241 Confed), 50 000 is just under 100 rounds per gun present.

            This still sounds like a lot, but is not out of the question. Anybody

            got decent stats? Tom?

            Brian

            <!--

            #ygrp-mlmsg
            {font-size:13px;font-family:arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;}
            #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99%
            arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;}
            #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
            #ygrp-text{
            font-family:Georgia;
            }
            #ygrp-text p{
            margin:0 0 1em 0;
            }
            #ygrp-tpmsgs{
            font-family:Arial;
            clear:both;
            }
            #ygrp-vitnav{
            padding-top:10px;
            font-family:Verdana;
            font-size:77%;
            margin:0;
            }
            #ygrp-vitnav a{
            padding:0 1px;
            }
            #ygrp-actbar{
            clear:both;
            margin:25px 0;
            white-space:nowrap;
            color:#666;
            text-align:right;
            }
            #ygrp-actbar .left{
            float:left;
            white-space:nowrap;
            }
            .bld{font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-grft{
            font-family:Verdana;
            font-size:77%;
            padding:15px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-ft{
            font-family:verdana;
            font-size:77%;
            border-top:1px solid #666;
            padding:5px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
            padding-bottom:10px;
            }

            #ygrp-vital{
            background-color:#e0ecee;
            margin-bottom:20px;
            padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
            }
            #ygrp-vital #vithd{
            font-size:77%;
            font-family:Verdana;
            font-weight:bold;
            color:#333;
            text-transform:uppercase;
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul{
            padding:0;
            margin:2px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li{
            list-style-type:none;
            clear:both;
            border:1px solid #e0ecee;
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
            font-weight:bold;
            color:#ff7900;
            float:right;
            width:2em;
            text-align:right;
            padding-right:.5em;
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
            font-weight:bold;
            }
            #ygrp-vital a {
            text-decoration:none;
            }

            #ygrp-vital a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;
            }

            #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
            color:#999;
            font-size:77%;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
            padding:6px 13px;
            background-color:#e0ecee;
            margin-bottom:20px;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
            padding:0 0 0 8px;
            margin:0;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
            list-style-type:square;
            padding:6px 0;
            font-size:77%;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
            text-decoration:none;
            font-size:130%;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
            background-color:#eee;
            margin-bottom:20px;
            padding:0 8px;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
            padding:8px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
            font-family:Arial;
            font-weight:bold;
            color:#628c2a;
            font-size:100%;
            line-height:122%;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
            text-decoration:none;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
            margin:0;
            }
            o {font-size:0;}
            .MsoNormal {
            margin:0 0 0 0;
            }
            #ygrp-text tt{
            font-size:120%;
            }
            blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
            .replbq {margin:4;}
            -->

          • Cory Newby
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 26, 2007
              Gerry, Tom,

              I didn't mean to sound overly critical -- I only intended to warn caution when using those factoids as sources (relevant to the original artillery question). Typos happen. Even in light of the typos (which will be flushed out), the new NPS site is a considerable enhancement from its previous version.

              Best Regards,
              Cory Newby

              Tom said he has already taken care of this........ ..

              God. --Anonymous

              I've not seen the 50,000 figure in print, that I can recall. I thought

              at first that the number must be way too high, but perhaps not.
              Using

              Johnson/Anderson figures for guns at Sharpsburg on the 17th as 542
              (301

              Fed, 241 Confed), 50 000 is just under 100 rounds per gun present.

              This still sounds like a lot, but is not out of the question. Anybody

              got decent stats? Tom?

              Brian

              <!--

              #ygrp-mlmsg
              {font-size:13px; font-family: arial,helvetica, clean,sans- serif;}
              #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit; font:100% ;}
[...]

              Be a PS3 game guru.
              Get your game face on with the latest PS3 news and previews at Yahoo!
              Games.
              http://videogames. yahoo.com/ platform? platform= 120121

            • Mark A. Pflum
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 26, 2007
                --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Darmok4349@... wrote:

                > Thanks,
                >
                > Any Idea on how to find out what the NPS source for this information
                is?

                > Mike

                Well, I can't say that this figure is definitive or nay. However, if
                you take into consideration that every piece that went into action
                during the battle had between 128 (12Pdr.) and 200 (10Pdr. and 3")
                rounds with it, and that most of them expended at least 80% of their
                ammunition, you find that the figure's truth is entirely possible.

                This also is assuming that none of the caissons were sent to the rear
                to refill . . .

                Mark A. Pflum
                Ringgold !!!
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 27, 2007
                  I think Mark has it right. If someone REALLY wanted to know they could go to the National Archives and pull out the quarterly returns for the units involved, see what their supply of ammo was on Sept. 1 and then compare to Jan. 1 1863 and see what re-supply they report. I doubt anybody at the park did that, I think it is a general figure. A few of the after-action reports mention the amount of ammo expended, Tompkins RI for example expended somewhere around 1,100 rounds for six guns. The 20 pdr. Parrotts expended nearly all their ammo, etc. so the figure is likely an accurate estimate.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 27, 2007
                    Dear Mark,

                    Glad to hear from you after all this time! Hope you are healthy, etc.

                    God. --Anonymous