Re: [TalkAntietam] Gen. E. C. Williams?

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
      Steve,
      There is no General E.C. Williams in Warner's Geneerals in Blue or
      Generals in Gray, nor in Hunt and Brown's Brevet Brigadiers in Blue.
      Eicher & Eicher list a Edward C. Williams of PA who was appointed BG
      4/19/1861 and terminated at that rank 7/20/1861. What is odd is that he
      is mentioned in the OR's as in charge of gathering troops at
      Chambersburg in April 61, then is listed as Col. of 9th PA Cav and sent
      to Eastern KY & Tenn. He resigned, as a Col., in Oct. of 1862. I see
      not connection to Harpers Ferry, but maybe in the early months of the
      war he went there as part of Patterson's force.
      Hope this helps.

      >>> Stephen Recker <recker@...> 01/12/07 9:42 AM >>>
      Does anyone know of a Gen. E. C. Williams that served at Harpers Ferry?
      Thanks.

      Stephen
    • RoteBaron@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
        Perhaps this URL can help: http://www.pa-roots.com/~pacw/infantry/10th/10thorg.html

        It notes that the 10th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers moved to Harper's Ferry July 23 and was mustered out July 31, 1861.

        Footnote #1 references Williams as follows:
        Organization of the 3d Brigade, Brigadier General E. C. Williams; etc

        From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>

      • jdpolaski@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
          In "The Signal Corps USA // J. Willard Brown there is a Clark Williams Died
          at Antietam, MD . Nov 15,. 1864 Enlisted Feb 29, 1864 Columbus, OH.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007

            Thanks so much. Guess this guy is pretty obscure.

            Cheers,
            Stephen

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007

              Interesting. Thanks!

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
                Not him, but at least he was at Antietam! Thanks.

                Stephen

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
                  Stephen,

                  Are you sure he was at Antietam in 1862? There were some Union units
                  stationed in the Sharpsburg area in mid to late 1861.

                  God. --Anonymous

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
                    I have no idea that he was ever in Sharpsburg. I just know that he was
                    at Harpers Ferry at some point.

                    Stephen