Re: [TalkAntietam] Gen. E. C. Williams?

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
      Union. Maybe served around Alpheus Williams.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
        Steve,
        There is no General E.C. Williams in Warner's Geneerals in Blue or
        Generals in Gray, nor in Hunt and Brown's Brevet Brigadiers in Blue.
        Eicher & Eicher list a Edward C. Williams of PA who was appointed BG
        4/19/1861 and terminated at that rank 7/20/1861. What is odd is that he
        is mentioned in the OR's as in charge of gathering troops at
        Chambersburg in April 61, then is listed as Col. of 9th PA Cav and sent
        to Eastern KY & Tenn. He resigned, as a Col., in Oct. of 1862. I see
        not connection to Harpers Ferry, but maybe in the early months of the
        war he went there as part of Patterson's force.
        Hope this helps.

        >>> Stephen Recker <recker@...> 01/12/07 9:42 AM >>>
        Does anyone know of a Gen. E. C. Williams that served at Harpers Ferry?
        Thanks.

        Stephen
      • RoteBaron@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
          Perhaps this URL can help: http://www.pa-roots.com/~pacw/infantry/10th/10thorg.html

          It notes that the 10th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers moved to Harper's Ferry July 23 and was mustered out July 31, 1861.

          Footnote #1 references Williams as follows:
          Organization of the 3d Brigade, Brigadier General E. C. Williams; etc

          From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>

        • jdpolaski@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
            In "The Signal Corps USA // J. Willard Brown there is a Clark Williams Died
            at Antietam, MD . Nov 15,. 1864 Enlisted Feb 29, 1864 Columbus, OH.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007

              Thanks so much. Guess this guy is pretty obscure.

              Cheers,
              Stephen

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007

                Interesting. Thanks!

                Stephen

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
                  Not him, but at least he was at Antietam! Thanks.

                  Stephen

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
                    Stephen,

                    Are you sure he was at Antietam in 1862? There were some Union units
                    stationed in the Sharpsburg area in mid to late 1861.

                    God. --Anonymous

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
                      I have no idea that he was ever in Sharpsburg. I just know that he was
                      at Harpers Ferry at some point.

                      Stephen