Gen. E. C. Williams?

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
      Does anyone know of a Gen. E. C. Williams that served at Harpers Ferry?
      Thanks.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
        Union or Confederate?

        God. --Anonymous
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
          Union. Maybe served around Alpheus Williams.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
            Steve,
            There is no General E.C. Williams in Warner's Geneerals in Blue or
            Generals in Gray, nor in Hunt and Brown's Brevet Brigadiers in Blue.
            Eicher & Eicher list a Edward C. Williams of PA who was appointed BG
            4/19/1861 and terminated at that rank 7/20/1861. What is odd is that he
            is mentioned in the OR's as in charge of gathering troops at
            Chambersburg in April 61, then is listed as Col. of 9th PA Cav and sent
            to Eastern KY & Tenn. He resigned, as a Col., in Oct. of 1862. I see
            not connection to Harpers Ferry, but maybe in the early months of the
            war he went there as part of Patterson's force.
            Hope this helps.

            >>> Stephen Recker <recker@...> 01/12/07 9:42 AM >>>
            Does anyone know of a Gen. E. C. Williams that served at Harpers Ferry?
            Thanks.

            Stephen
          • RoteBaron@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
              Perhaps this URL can help: http://www.pa-roots.com/~pacw/infantry/10th/10thorg.html

              It notes that the 10th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers moved to Harper's Ferry July 23 and was mustered out July 31, 1861.

              Footnote #1 references Williams as follows:
              Organization of the 3d Brigade, Brigadier General E. C. Williams; etc

              From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>

            • jdpolaski@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
                In "The Signal Corps USA // J. Willard Brown there is a Clark Williams Died
                at Antietam, MD . Nov 15,. 1864 Enlisted Feb 29, 1864 Columbus, OH.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007

                  Thanks so much. Guess this guy is pretty obscure.

                  Cheers,
                  Stephen

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007

                    Interesting. Thanks!

                    Stephen

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
                      Not him, but at least he was at Antietam! Thanks.

                      Stephen

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
                        Stephen,

                        Are you sure he was at Antietam in 1862? There were some Union units
                        stationed in the Sharpsburg area in mid to late 1861.

                        God. --Anonymous

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
                          I have no idea that he was ever in Sharpsburg. I just know that he was
                          at Harpers Ferry at some point.

                          Stephen