Donation by Harrisburg CWRT to restore Piper Orchard

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
      News release from Antietam NPS:

      Donation by Harrisburg Civil War Roundtable to Restore Piper Orchard
      Date: January 9, 2007

      Superintendent John Howard today announced that the Harrisburg Civil War Roundtable has donated $1800.00 toward the continued restoration of the historic Piper Orchard at Antietam National Battlefield.

      This generous donation will be matched with Federal funding to continue the restoration of this 20 acre apple orchard located just southeast of the Bloody Lane. Donations such as these are critical toward the continued work in historic landscape restoration undertaken by the National Park Service at Antietam beginning in 1991.

      Superintendent Howard said �This wonderful donation is typical of the members of the Harrisburg CWRT, who for years have been in the forefront of battlefield preservation.�

      POSTED BY: Tom Shay

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
        Does anyone know of a Gen. E. C. Williams that served at Harpers Ferry?
        Thanks.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
          Union or Confederate?

          God. --Anonymous
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
            Union. Maybe served around Alpheus Williams.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
              Steve,
              There is no General E.C. Williams in Warner's Geneerals in Blue or
              Generals in Gray, nor in Hunt and Brown's Brevet Brigadiers in Blue.
              Eicher & Eicher list a Edward C. Williams of PA who was appointed BG
              4/19/1861 and terminated at that rank 7/20/1861. What is odd is that he
              is mentioned in the OR's as in charge of gathering troops at
              Chambersburg in April 61, then is listed as Col. of 9th PA Cav and sent
              to Eastern KY & Tenn. He resigned, as a Col., in Oct. of 1862. I see
              not connection to Harpers Ferry, but maybe in the early months of the
              war he went there as part of Patterson's force.
              Hope this helps.

              >>> Stephen Recker <recker@...> 01/12/07 9:42 AM >>>
              Does anyone know of a Gen. E. C. Williams that served at Harpers Ferry?
              Thanks.

              Stephen
            • RoteBaron@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
                Perhaps this URL can help: http://www.pa-roots.com/~pacw/infantry/10th/10thorg.html

                It notes that the 10th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers moved to Harper's Ferry July 23 and was mustered out July 31, 1861.

                Footnote #1 references Williams as follows:
                Organization of the 3d Brigade, Brigadier General E. C. Williams; etc

                From: Stephen Recker <recker@...>

              • jdpolaski@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
                  In "The Signal Corps USA // J. Willard Brown there is a Clark Williams Died
                  at Antietam, MD . Nov 15,. 1864 Enlisted Feb 29, 1864 Columbus, OH.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007

                    Thanks so much. Guess this guy is pretty obscure.

                    Cheers,
                    Stephen

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007

                      Interesting. Thanks!

                      Stephen

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
                        Not him, but at least he was at Antietam! Thanks.

                        Stephen

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
                          Stephen,

                          Are you sure he was at Antietam in 1862? There were some Union units
                          stationed in the Sharpsburg area in mid to late 1861.

                          God. --Anonymous

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 12, 2007
                            I have no idea that he was ever in Sharpsburg. I just know that he was
                            at Harpers Ferry at some point.

                            Stephen