Re: [TalkAntietam] Scalawag defined

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2007
      For those of us Southern "born & bred," a scalawag was one of "us" gone bad. Worse than carpetbaggers who were Yankees come south to take advantage of us, a scalawag was a Southerner in cahoots with the evil occupiers. That sob in GWTW who tried to steal Tara from Scarlett for a buck-fifty was a scalawag. Now -- that's what my grandmamma told me.

      Richard
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2007
        >For those of us Southern "born & bred," a scalawag was one of "us" gone
        >bad. Worse than >carpetbaggers who were Yankees come south to take
        >advantage of us, a scalawag was a >Southerner in cahoots with the evil
        >occupiers. That sob in GWTW who tried to steal Tara from >Scarlett for a
        >buck-fifty was a scalawag. Now -- that's what my grandmamma told me.

        Howdy:

        I do not usually use wikipedia as a source, but it's definition of the term
        is particularly good.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalawags

        I picked up the nickname "scalawag," because I was only Southerner at work
        who wrote and researched the Union army in the American Civil War.

        Regards,
        Bill Brown
        scalawag14@...
        william.h.brown@...

        "There are no bad regiments, there are only bad officers."

        Field Marshall Lord Slim

        From photos to predictions, The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes has
        it all. http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/?icid=nctagline1
      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2007
          This is what I'm sayin'. My grandmomma was always right.