Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: "New" Lee portrait

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
      For those of us Southern "born & bred," a scalawag was one of "us" gone bad. Worse than carpetbaggers who were Yankees come south to take advantage of us, a scalawag was a Southerner in cahoots with the evil occupiers. That sob in GWTW who tried to steal Tara from Scarlett for a buck-fifty was a scalawag. Now -- that's what my grandmamma told me.

      Richard

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
        Dear Richard,

        I understood that...but apparently the term has another
        definition.....

        God. --Anonymous
        > For those of us Southern "born & bred," a scalawag was one of "us"
        > gone bad. Worse than carpetbaggers who were Yankees come south to
        > take advantage of us, a scalawag was a Southerner in cahoots with
        > the evil occupiers. That sob in GWTW who tried to steal Tara from
        > Scarlett for a buck-fifty was a scalawag. Now -- that's what my
        > grandmamma told me.
        >
        > Richard

      • barringer63
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
          Gerry Mayers wrote:

          > Dear Richard,
          >
          > I understood that...but apparently the term has another
          > definition.....

          The traditional definition is "mischievious person or scamp" but I
          think we can agree that definition doesn't fit Dan Sickles either.

          Teej