Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: "New" Lee portrait

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 6, 2007
      Dear Richard,

      Please kindly enlighten the rest of us on the differences between a
      Scalawag etc.

      God. --Anonymous
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
        For those of us Southern "born & bred," a scalawag was one of "us" gone bad. Worse than carpetbaggers who were Yankees come south to take advantage of us, a scalawag was a Southerner in cahoots with the evil occupiers. That sob in GWTW who tried to steal Tara from Scarlett for a buck-fifty was a scalawag. Now -- that's what my grandmamma told me.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
          Dear Richard,

          I understood that...but apparently the term has another
          definition.....

          God. --Anonymous
          > For those of us Southern "born & bred," a scalawag was one of "us"
          > gone bad. Worse than carpetbaggers who were Yankees come south to
          > take advantage of us, a scalawag was a Southerner in cahoots with
          > the evil occupiers. That sob in GWTW who tried to steal Tara from
          > Scarlett for a buck-fifty was a scalawag. Now -- that's what my
          > grandmamma told me.
          >
          > Richard

        • barringer63
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
            Gerry Mayers wrote:

            > Dear Richard,
            >
            > I understood that...but apparently the term has another
            > definition.....

            The traditional definition is "mischievious person or scamp" but I
            think we can agree that definition doesn't fit Dan Sickles either.

            Teej