Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: "New" Lee portrait

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 6, 2007
      By definition, a scalawag cannot be a Yankee.
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 6, 2007
        Dear Richard,

        Please kindly enlighten the rest of us on the differences between a
        Scalawag etc.

        God. --Anonymous

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
          For those of us Southern "born & bred," a scalawag was one of "us" gone bad. Worse than carpetbaggers who were Yankees come south to take advantage of us, a scalawag was a Southerner in cahoots with the evil occupiers. That sob in GWTW who tried to steal Tara from Scarlett for a buck-fifty was a scalawag. Now -- that's what my grandmamma told me.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
            Dear Richard,

            I understood that...but apparently the term has another
            definition.....

            God. --Anonymous
            > For those of us Southern "born & bred," a scalawag was one of "us"
            > gone bad. Worse than carpetbaggers who were Yankees come south to
            > take advantage of us, a scalawag was a Southerner in cahoots with
            > the evil occupiers. That sob in GWTW who tried to steal Tara from
            > Scarlett for a buck-fifty was a scalawag. Now -- that's what my
            > grandmamma told me.
            >
            > Richard

          • barringer63
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
              Gerry Mayers wrote:

              > Dear Richard,
              >
              > I understood that...but apparently the term has another
              > definition.....

              The traditional definition is "mischievious person or scamp" but I
              think we can agree that definition doesn't fit Dan Sickles either.

              Teej