Re: [TalkAntietam] "New" Lee portrait

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
      Came across this article on AOL about a Lee portrait that hasn't been displayed in public since Reconstruction. It will be shown at the Museum of the Confederacy as a part of the Robert E. Lee 200th birthday exhibit...

      http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/rare-robert-e-lee-portrait-on-display/20070102174209990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

      Richard Croker

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
        Saw the same article this morning. I think it is great the owner is having 500 prints made to sell for $300 each and the money goes to the museum. Imagine a protrait of Marsh Robert not seen since 1868.

        Marc Riddell

        Came across this article on AOL about a Lee portrait that hasn't been displayed in public since Reconstruction. It will be shown at the Museum of the Confederacy as a part of the Robert E. Lee 200th birthday exhibit...

        http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/rare-robert-e-lee-portrait-on-display/20070102174209990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

        Richard Croker

        Thanks for the kind words, but the best way to see the battlefield is
        still one of the ranger-led tours on those special weekends. Second
        best is some time with an Antietam Battlefield Guide...or perhaps
        running into Tom Shay, (of ABG poster fame) and eavesdropping.

        BTW, we are having another guide test at the end of January. Anyone
        interested can contact me off-forum at the email or phone numbers
        below. Thanks.

        Stephen

        On Saturday, December 30, 2006, at 08:28 PM, Tom Shay wrote:

        > Since I live over 130 miles from Antietam, I cannot commit to become
        > an official guide. Stephen Recker and his guide corps are your best
        > option for securing a well-guided tour of the Antietam fields. I am
        > currently content with researching the battle, trekking over it's
        > hallowed ground, and humbly sharing whatever I know with whomever will
        > listen.

        Stephen Recker
        recker@...
        240-217-3664
        800-417-9596

      • barringer63
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
          Marc Riddell wrote:

          > Saw the same article this morning. I think it is great the owner is
          having 500 prints made to sell for $300 each and the money goes to the
          museum. Imagine a protrait of Marsh Robert not seen since 1868.

          Now might be a good time to let folks know that the Museum of the
          Confederacy can use all the financial help it can get if we don't want
          to see the doors closed permanently or moved to parts unknown.

          Regards,
          Teej
        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
            If they want my money they better sell a picture of someone other than a
            lying, thieving, murderous secesh!!!!!!

            How about Dan Sickles?

            Harry

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
              Harry Smeltzer wrote:

              > If they want my money they better sell a picture of someone other
              than a
              > lying, thieving, murderous secesh!!!!!!
              >>
              > How about Dan Sickles?

              Sorry, I don't think the MoC does lyin', thievin', murderous Union
              men.

              Teej

            • Harry Smeltzer
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                I don't think they're in any position to look a gift horse in the mouth.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                  Harry:

                  Whoa! Marse Lee robbin', stealin' secesh>?>>>!!?!?!? Them is fightin'
                  words Suh!!!

                  Now Danny Boy...would be a perfect lyin', stealin', murderin', boozin'
                  etc scoundrel and scalawag of a Yankee!!!

                  God. --Anonymous

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                    Teej;

                    Just wait for my reply...all guns cocked and ready to fire at your
                    command ma'am!

                    God. --Anonymous

                  • bdowney@aotw.org
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 3, 2007
                      Hi Folks,

                      Please keep this thread to the subject of the picture or the MotC or
                      closely related. Silly partisan baiting is right out, and a waste of
                      perfectly good electrons to boot.

                      Thanks,
                      Brian

                    • richard@rcroker.com

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 6, 2007
                          Dear Richard,

                          Please kindly enlighten the rest of us on the differences between a
                          Scalawag etc.

                          God. --Anonymous

                        • richard@rcroker.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
                            For those of us Southern "born & bred," a scalawag was one of "us" gone bad. Worse than carpetbaggers who were Yankees come south to take advantage of us, a scalawag was a Southerner in cahoots with the evil occupiers. That sob in GWTW who tried to steal Tara from Scarlett for a buck-fifty was a scalawag. Now -- that's what my grandmamma told me.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
                              Dear Richard,

                              I understood that...but apparently the term has another
                              definition.....

                              God. --Anonymous
                              > For those of us Southern "born & bred," a scalawag was one of "us"
                              > gone bad. Worse than carpetbaggers who were Yankees come south to
                              > take advantage of us, a scalawag was a Southerner in cahoots with
                              > the evil occupiers. That sob in GWTW who tried to steal Tara from
                              > Scarlett for a buck-fifty was a scalawag. Now -- that's what my
                              > grandmamma told me.
                              >
                              > Richard

                            • barringer63
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
                                Gerry Mayers wrote:

                                > Dear Richard,
                                >
                                > I understood that...but apparently the term has another
                                > definition.....

                                The traditional definition is "mischievious person or scamp" but I
                                think we can agree that definition doesn't fit Dan Sickles either.

                                Teej