Re: [TalkAntietam] Antietam trip report from 12-28-2006

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 30 12:48 PM
      Dear Tom,

      Did you pass Stephen's test to be a licesned guide there at Antietam?

      God. --Anonymous
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 30 5:28 PM
        Gerry,

        Since I live over 130 miles from Antietam, I cannot commit to become an official guide. Stephen Recker and his guide corps are your best option for securing a well-guided tour of the Antietam fields. I am currently content with researching the battle, trekking over it's hallowed ground, and humbly sharing whatever I know with whomever will listen.

        Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 30 7:54 PM
          I've just added a few more pages of photos and text to my trip report...

          http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/TripReport20061228.htm

          Any comments or questions are always welcome!

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 31 6:47 AM
            Dear Tom,

            Thanks. I am well aware of what Stephen and his folks do, which is
            excellent indeed. I was not sure if you were a guide also or whether
            you just happened to get lucky........

            As far as your tramping the field, researching the battle, etc., you
            and I are kindred spirits.

            God. --Anonymous

          • jdpolaski@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 31 1:32 PM
              You've got some great pic's there.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
                Tom,

                Thanks for the kind words, but the best way to see the battlefield is
                still one of the ranger-led tours on those special weekends. Second
                best is some time with an Antietam Battlefield Guide...or perhaps
                running into Tom Shay, (of ABG poster fame) and eavesdropping.

                BTW, we are having another guide test at the end of January. Anyone
                interested can contact me off-forum at the email or phone numbers
                below. Thanks.

                Stephen

                On Saturday, December 30, 2006, at 08:28 PM, Tom Shay wrote:

                > Since I live over 130 miles from Antietam, I cannot commit to become
                > an official guide. Stephen Recker and his guide corps are your best
                > option for securing a well-guided tour of the Antietam fields. I am
                > currently content with researching the battle, trekking over it's
                > hallowed ground, and humbly sharing whatever I know with whomever will
                > listen.

                Stephen Recker
                recker@...
                240-217-3664