Re: [TalkAntietam] Antietam trip report from 12-28-2006

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 30, 2006
      Tom,

      Great photos. Thanks for putting them up.

      Stephen Recker
    • Tom Shay
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 30, 2006
        Stephen,

        I posted Page 4 today, plus added more notes onto Page 1.

        When I entered the bookstore, I was astounded to see the new guide photo featuring me! Bob Casey gave in to my plea for one of them. so he'll be needing another one for the store!

        Tom Shay

        http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/TripReport20061228.htm

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 30, 2006
          Dear Tom,

          Did you pass Stephen's test to be a licesned guide there at Antietam?

          God. --Anonymous

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 30, 2006
            Gerry,

            Since I live over 130 miles from Antietam, I cannot commit to become an official guide. Stephen Recker and his guide corps are your best option for securing a well-guided tour of the Antietam fields. I am currently content with researching the battle, trekking over it's hallowed ground, and humbly sharing whatever I know with whomever will listen.

            Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 30, 2006
              I've just added a few more pages of photos and text to my trip report...

              http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/TripReport20061228.htm

              Any comments or questions are always welcome!

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 31, 2006
                Dear Tom,

                Thanks. I am well aware of what Stephen and his folks do, which is
                excellent indeed. I was not sure if you were a guide also or whether
                you just happened to get lucky........

                As far as your tramping the field, researching the battle, etc., you
                and I are kindred spirits.

                God. --Anonymous

              • jdpolaski@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 31, 2006
                  You've got some great pic's there.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
                    Tom,

                    Thanks for the kind words, but the best way to see the battlefield is
                    still one of the ranger-led tours on those special weekends. Second
                    best is some time with an Antietam Battlefield Guide...or perhaps
                    running into Tom Shay, (of ABG poster fame) and eavesdropping.

                    BTW, we are having another guide test at the end of January. Anyone
                    interested can contact me off-forum at the email or phone numbers
                    below. Thanks.

                    Stephen

                    On Saturday, December 30, 2006, at 08:28 PM, Tom Shay wrote:

                    > Since I live over 130 miles from Antietam, I cannot commit to become
                    > an official guide. Stephen Recker and his guide corps are your best
                    > option for securing a well-guided tour of the Antietam fields. I am
                    > currently content with researching the battle, trekking over it's
                    > hallowed ground, and humbly sharing whatever I know with whomever will
                    > listen.

                    Stephen Recker
                    recker@...
                    240-217-3664