Antietam trip report from 12-28-2006

  • Tom Shay
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 29, 2006
      Yesterday, I spent a grand day trekking the fields of Antietam. I took plenty of photos and will start placing them on my CWRT website.

      For starters, you can view this URL:

      http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/TripReport20061228.htm

      I was given a copy of the new park brochure, which looks great. I reported a few spelling errors to NPS, so hopefully they will be corrected prior to final printings.

      There are two new trails under development. First new one is along south edge of West Woods. They have cleared the old wagon trail that ran from the pike to Locher Farm.

      The other new trail is on east side of Burnside Bridge. Rangers were using GPS to lay it out yesterday. Both new trails will be detailed in forthcoming brochures, which will be available for minimal fee in Spring 2007.

      I'll advise when more photos have been placed on the website.

      Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 30, 2006

        Great photos. Thanks for putting them up.

        Stephen Recker
      • Tom Shay
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 30, 2006
          Stephen,

          I posted Page 4 today, plus added more notes onto Page 1.

          When I entered the bookstore, I was astounded to see the new guide photo featuring me! Bob Casey gave in to my plea for one of them. so he'll be needing another one for the store!

          Tom Shay

          http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/TripReport20061228.htm

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 30, 2006
            Dear Tom,

            Did you pass Stephen's test to be a licesned guide there at Antietam?

            God. --Anonymous

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 30, 2006

              Since I live over 130 miles from Antietam, I cannot commit to become an official guide. Stephen Recker and his guide corps are your best option for securing a well-guided tour of the Antietam fields. I am currently content with researching the battle, trekking over it's hallowed ground, and humbly sharing whatever I know with whomever will listen.

              Tom Shay - Cressona, PA

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 30, 2006
                I've just added a few more pages of photos and text to my trip report...

                http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/TripReport20061228.htm

                Any comments or questions are always welcome!

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 31, 2006
                  Dear Tom,

                  Thanks. I am well aware of what Stephen and his folks do, which is
                  excellent indeed. I was not sure if you were a guide also or whether
                  you just happened to get lucky........

                  As far as your tramping the field, researching the battle, etc., you
                  and I are kindred spirits.

                  God. --Anonymous

                • jdpolaski@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 31, 2006
                    You've got some great pic's there.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007

                      Thanks for the kind words, but the best way to see the battlefield is
                      still one of the ranger-led tours on those special weekends. Second
                      best is some time with an Antietam Battlefield Guide...or perhaps
                      running into Tom Shay, (of ABG poster fame) and eavesdropping.

                      BTW, we are having another guide test at the end of January. Anyone
                      interested can contact me off-forum at the email or phone numbers
                      below. Thanks.

                      Stephen

                      On Saturday, December 30, 2006, at 08:28 PM, Tom Shay wrote:

                      > Since I live over 130 miles from Antietam, I cannot commit to become
                      > an official guide. Stephen Recker and his guide corps are your best
                      > option for securing a well-guided tour of the Antietam fields. I am
                      > currently content with researching the battle, trekking over it's
                      > hallowed ground, and humbly sharing whatever I know with whomever will
                      > listen.

                      Stephen Recker
                      recker@...
                      240-217-3664