Re: Research help requested

  • Scott Mingus
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 24, 2006
      Certainly Richard!

      By the way, I have some autographed first edition copies of the new
      Gettysburg book available for $9.95 plus modest postage. Contact me
      off-line if any of you are interested.

      Here's a sample story from my Antietam manuscript... this is a
      collection of anecdotes and stories culled from old regimental
      histories, diaries, letters, newspapers, etc.

      As Capt. James Dinkins and his comrades in the 18th Mississippi
      advanced towards the distant Yankees, men were falling at every step
      as shells and shots pounded the earth and cut down the timber. A
      spotted cow rambled through the line, going to the Mississippians'
      rear, desperately running like a race horse with her tail was high in
      the air. A Federal artillery shell struck the ground a few feet in
      front of her and exploded, splattering dirt in all directions and
      leaving a large hole. The terrified bovine plunged in the hole, but
      soon scrambled out. Kit Gilmer of Company C hallooed, "Boys, she's a
      Confederate cow; she's going South!"

      James Dinkins, 1861-1865 by an Old Johnnie: Personal Recollections
      and Experiences in the Confederate Army. (Cincinnati: The Robert
      Clarke Company, 1897).

      There are about 300 such stories in this new work. The Gettysburg
      book now in print is a similar collection related to that campaign.

      Thanks to all who have contributed ideas so far!!!!

      Scott Mingus
      York, PA