Re: [TalkAntietam] Research help requested

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 15, 2006
      Be sure to let us know when it's done. I would love a copy!

      Richard Croker
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 24, 2006
        Certainly Richard!

        By the way, I have some autographed first edition copies of the new
        Gettysburg book available for $9.95 plus modest postage. Contact me
        off-line if any of you are interested.

        Here's a sample story from my Antietam manuscript... this is a
        collection of anecdotes and stories culled from old regimental
        histories, diaries, letters, newspapers, etc.

        As Capt. James Dinkins and his comrades in the 18th Mississippi
        advanced towards the distant Yankees, men were falling at every step
        as shells and shots pounded the earth and cut down the timber. A
        spotted cow rambled through the line, going to the Mississippians'
        rear, desperately running like a race horse with her tail was high in
        the air. A Federal artillery shell struck the ground a few feet in
        front of her and exploded, splattering dirt in all directions and
        leaving a large hole. The terrified bovine plunged in the hole, but
        soon scrambled out. Kit Gilmer of Company C hallooed, "Boys, she's a
        Confederate cow; she's going South!"

        James Dinkins, 1861-1865 by an Old Johnnie: Personal Recollections
        and Experiences in the Confederate Army. (Cincinnati: The Robert
        Clarke Company, 1897).

        There are about 300 such stories in this new work. The Gettysburg
        book now in print is a similar collection related to that campaign.

        Thanks to all who have contributed ideas so far!!!!

        Scott Mingus
        York, PA