Re: [TalkAntietam] Research help requested

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 13, 2006
      Dear Scott,

      What specifically do you need? I have a typescript of a letter (copy
      of the actual letter at Antietam NBP) written by Capt WT March of the
      4th NC to a cousin just as the Maryland Campaign began.

      God. --Anonymous
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 15, 2006
        Be sure to let us know when it's done. I would love a copy!

        Richard Croker

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 24, 2006
          Certainly Richard!

          By the way, I have some autographed first edition copies of the new
          Gettysburg book available for $9.95 plus modest postage. Contact me
          off-line if any of you are interested.

          Here's a sample story from my Antietam manuscript... this is a
          collection of anecdotes and stories culled from old regimental
          histories, diaries, letters, newspapers, etc.

          As Capt. James Dinkins and his comrades in the 18th Mississippi
          advanced towards the distant Yankees, men were falling at every step
          as shells and shots pounded the earth and cut down the timber. A
          spotted cow rambled through the line, going to the Mississippians'
          rear, desperately running like a race horse with her tail was high in
          the air. A Federal artillery shell struck the ground a few feet in
          front of her and exploded, splattering dirt in all directions and
          leaving a large hole. The terrified bovine plunged in the hole, but
          soon scrambled out. Kit Gilmer of Company C hallooed, "Boys, she's a
          Confederate cow; she's going South!"

          James Dinkins, 1861-1865 by an Old Johnnie: Personal Recollections
          and Experiences in the Confederate Army. (Cincinnati: The Robert
          Clarke Company, 1897).

          There are about 300 such stories in this new work. The Gettysburg
          book now in print is a similar collection related to that campaign.

          Thanks to all who have contributed ideas so far!!!!

          Scott Mingus
          York, PA