Research help requested

  • Scott Mingus
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 13, 2006
      Due to the great feedback on my new "Human Interest Stories of the
      Gettysburg Campaign," (amazon.com), I am 75% of the way completed
      with its companion volume, "Antietam Anecdotes: Human Interest
      Stories of the Maryland Campaign." This latter work will be around
      100 pages with a vast collection of stories, anecdotes, and snippets
      culled and collected from a wide array of primary sources.

      What I am asking is that if any of you have access to primary
      accounts from the campaign that you think are worthy of inclusion,
      please contact me off-line at scottmingus@.... I am primarily
      interested in humorous incidents or unusual occurrences that are
      documented by eyewitnesses and are from sources prior to 1920 (in
      other words, materials that are out of copyright and can be reused or
      edited freely into my writing style).

      Feel free point me to any leads you may have, as it occurred to me
      that this august body would have access to even more material than I
      do alone.

      Thanks in advance for your consideration of this Antietam request.

      Scott Mingus
      York, Pennsylvania
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 13, 2006
        Dear Scott,

        What specifically do you need? I have a typescript of a letter (copy
        of the actual letter at Antietam NBP) written by Capt WT March of the
        4th NC to a cousin just as the Maryland Campaign began.

        God. --Anonymous

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 15, 2006
          Be sure to let us know when it's done. I would love a copy!

          Richard Croker

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 24, 2006
            Certainly Richard!

            By the way, I have some autographed first edition copies of the new
            Gettysburg book available for $9.95 plus modest postage. Contact me
            off-line if any of you are interested.

            Here's a sample story from my Antietam manuscript... this is a
            collection of anecdotes and stories culled from old regimental
            histories, diaries, letters, newspapers, etc.

            As Capt. James Dinkins and his comrades in the 18th Mississippi
            advanced towards the distant Yankees, men were falling at every step
            as shells and shots pounded the earth and cut down the timber. A
            spotted cow rambled through the line, going to the Mississippians'
            rear, desperately running like a race horse with her tail was high in
            the air. A Federal artillery shell struck the ground a few feet in
            front of her and exploded, splattering dirt in all directions and
            leaving a large hole. The terrified bovine plunged in the hole, but
            soon scrambled out. Kit Gilmer of Company C hallooed, "Boys, she's a
            Confederate cow; she's going South!"

            James Dinkins, 1861-1865 by an Old Johnnie: Personal Recollections
            and Experiences in the Confederate Army. (Cincinnati: The Robert
            Clarke Company, 1897).

            There are about 300 such stories in this new work. The Gettysburg
            book now in print is a similar collection related to that campaign.

            Thanks to all who have contributed ideas so far!!!!

            Scott Mingus
            York, PA