Re: Kennesaw Mountain NBP

  • dickeyr46
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
      Ft. McClellan was one of the training encampments mobilized for WW I.
      Two reaons have been given for the name... 1. Recognizing McClellan's
      skill at training and organizing an army and 2. Because the first
      soldiers arriving and training at the new camp were from NJ, where
      Little Mac ended his service.

      There is also Ft. McPherson in Atlanta. That goes back to 1867,
      reconstruction occupation, and honoring the most senior Union officer
      killed in the Atlanta Campaign.

      Ron Dickey

    • richard@rcroker.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
        However, we Atlantans are loath to say, Fort McPherson is scheduled soon to be closed.