Re: [TalkAntietam] Kennesaw Mountain NBP

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
      Of course Maryland has Fort George G. Meade, hmmm.

      >>> <jdpolaski@...> 12/11/06 4:25 PM >>>
      Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
      named of
      Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named after
      Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

    • dickeyr46
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
        Ft. McClellan was one of the training encampments mobilized for WW I.
        Two reaons have been given for the name... 1. Recognizing McClellan's
        skill at training and organizing an army and 2. Because the first
        soldiers arriving and training at the new camp were from NJ, where
        Little Mac ended his service.

        There is also Ft. McPherson in Atlanta. That goes back to 1867,
        reconstruction occupation, and honoring the most senior Union officer
        killed in the Atlanta Campaign.

        Ron Dickey

      • richard@rcroker.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
          However, we Atlantans are loath to say, Fort McPherson is scheduled soon to be closed.