Re: [TalkAntietam] Fort names

  • Darin Boville
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2006
      Is it fair to say that Maryland was a "slave state" in the sense that
      more Sourthern states were slave states? Obviously they had slaves,
      but weren't they almost entirely in the very southern/eastern area,
      sort of removed from the rest of the state? Doesn't that go a long
      way toward explaining the lukewarm reception of Lee's army just prior
      to Antietam (Sharpsburg, of course!)?

      --Darin

      On Dec 11, 2006, at 4:42 PM, 128thpa@... wrote:

      > Well Fort Meade is in Maryland. Now do we consider Maryland a
      > northern or southern state? Yes, it stayed in the Union - BUT it is
      > south of the Mason Dixon Line, and Maryland was still a slave
      > state! Just something else to think about!
      >
      > Paula

      Darin Boville

      Photography: www.darinboville.com

    • jdpolaski@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 12, 2006
        Yes Maryland was a slave state. Although the Lincoln wanted to keep it a
        northern state because of the location of the White House. Maryland had its
        simpities with the south but remember that at that time when the Baltimore riot
        broke out at President Street Station Lincoln locked down Baltimore and locked
        up the sympathizers. Mostly at Ft. McHenry. And martial law was inforced.