Fort names

  • 128thpa@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2006
      Well Fort Meade is in Maryland. Now do we consider Maryland a northern or southern state? Yes, it stayed in the Union - BUT it is south of the Mason Dixon Line, and Maryland was still a slave state! Just something else to think about!

      Paula

    • Darin Boville
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2006
        Is it fair to say that Maryland was a "slave state" in the sense that
        more Sourthern states were slave states? Obviously they had slaves,
        but weren't they almost entirely in the very southern/eastern area,
        sort of removed from the rest of the state? Doesn't that go a long
        way toward explaining the lukewarm reception of Lee's army just prior
        to Antietam (Sharpsburg, of course!)?

        --Darin

        On Dec 11, 2006, at 4:42 PM, 128thpa@... wrote:

        > Well Fort Meade is in Maryland. Now do we consider Maryland a
        > northern or southern state? Yes, it stayed in the Union - BUT it is
        > south of the Mason Dixon Line, and Maryland was still a slave
        > state! Just something else to think about!
        >
        > Paula

        Darin Boville

        Photography: www.darinboville.com

      • jdpolaski@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 12, 2006
          Yes Maryland was a slave state. Although the Lincoln wanted to keep it a
          northern state because of the location of the White House. Maryland had its
          simpities with the south but remember that at that time when the Baltimore riot
          broke out at President Street Station Lincoln locked down Baltimore and locked
          up the sympathizers. Mostly at Ft. McHenry. And martial law was inforced.