RE: [TalkAntietam] Kennesaw Mountain NBP

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
      Don't make me kick your ass, Steve.

      Harry

      -----Original Message-----
      From: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Stephen Recker
      Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 6:32 PM
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Kennesaw Mountain NBP

      Like he said - generals with southern sympathies.

      Stephen

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
        Of course Maryland has Fort George G. Meade, hmmm.

        >>> <jdpolaski@...> 12/11/06 4:25 PM >>>
        Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
        named of
        Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named after
        Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

      • dickeyr46
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
          Ft. McClellan was one of the training encampments mobilized for WW I.
          Two reaons have been given for the name... 1. Recognizing McClellan's
          skill at training and organizing an army and 2. Because the first
          soldiers arriving and training at the new camp were from NJ, where
          Little Mac ended his service.

          There is also Ft. McPherson in Atlanta. That goes back to 1867,
          reconstruction occupation, and honoring the most senior Union officer
          killed in the Atlanta Campaign.

          Ron Dickey

        • richard@rcroker.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
            However, we Atlantans are loath to say, Fort McPherson is scheduled soon to be closed.