Re: Kennesaw Mountain NBP

  • barringer63
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
      Harry Smeltzer wrote:

      > Fort McClellan was in Alabama.

      That's 'cause it was named for the best general the Confed...nah,
      that's too easy.

      Teej
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
        Like he said - generals with southern sympathies.

        Stephen

        On Monday, December 11, 2006, at 06:06 PM, Harry Smeltzer wrote:

        > Fort McClellan was in Alabama.

      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
          Don't make me kick your ass, Steve.

          Harry

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
            Of course Maryland has Fort George G. Meade, hmmm.

            >>> <jdpolaski@...> 12/11/06 4:25 PM >>>
            Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
            named of
            Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named after
            Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

          • dickeyr46
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
              Ft. McClellan was one of the training encampments mobilized for WW I.
              Two reaons have been given for the name... 1. Recognizing McClellan's
              skill at training and organizing an army and 2. Because the first
              soldiers arriving and training at the new camp were from NJ, where
              Little Mac ended his service.

              There is also Ft. McPherson in Atlanta. That goes back to 1867,
              reconstruction occupation, and honoring the most senior Union officer
              killed in the Atlanta Campaign.

              Ron Dickey

            • richard@rcroker.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                However, we Atlantans are loath to say, Fort McPherson is scheduled soon to be closed.