RE: [TalkAntietam] Kennesaw Mountain NBP

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
      Fort McClellan was in Alabama.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of jdpolaski@...
      Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 4:25 PM
      To: TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Kennesaw Mountain NBP

      Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are named of

      Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named after
      Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

    • barringer63
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
        Harry Smeltzer wrote:

        > Fort McClellan was in Alabama.

        That's 'cause it was named for the best general the Confed...nah,
        that's too easy.

        Teej
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
          Like he said - generals with southern sympathies.

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
            Don't make me kick your ass, Steve.

            Harry

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
              Of course Maryland has Fort George G. Meade, hmmm.

              >>> <jdpolaski@...> 12/11/06 4:25 PM >>>
              Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
              named of
              Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named after
              Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

            • dickeyr46
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                Ft. McClellan was one of the training encampments mobilized for WW I.
                Two reaons have been given for the name... 1. Recognizing McClellan's
                skill at training and organizing an army and 2. Because the first
                soldiers arriving and training at the new camp were from NJ, where
                Little Mac ended his service.

                There is also Ft. McPherson in Atlanta. That goes back to 1867,
                reconstruction occupation, and honoring the most senior Union officer
                killed in the Atlanta Campaign.

                Ron Dickey

              • richard@rcroker.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                  However, we Atlantans are loath to say, Fort McPherson is scheduled soon to be closed.