Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Kennesaw Mountain NBP

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
      Teej;

      I fail to see how Bragg could be the best Yankee General the South
      had...esp. when you consider all the "real" Yankee generals they did
      have.... such as Pemberton, Cooper, etc.

      God. --Anonymous
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
        Fort McClellan was in Alabama.

        Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are named of

        Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named after
        Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

      • barringer63
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
          Harry Smeltzer wrote:

          > Fort McClellan was in Alabama.

          That's 'cause it was named for the best general the Confed...nah,
          that's too easy.

          Teej
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
            Like he said - generals with southern sympathies.

            Stephen

            On Monday, December 11, 2006, at 06:06 PM, Harry Smeltzer wrote:

            > Fort McClellan was in Alabama.

          • Harry Smeltzer
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
              Don't make me kick your ass, Steve.

              Harry

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                Of course Maryland has Fort George G. Meade, hmmm.

                >>> <jdpolaski@...> 12/11/06 4:25 PM >>>
                Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
                named of
                Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named after
                Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

              • dickeyr46
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                  Ft. McClellan was one of the training encampments mobilized for WW I.
                  Two reaons have been given for the name... 1. Recognizing McClellan's
                  skill at training and organizing an army and 2. Because the first
                  soldiers arriving and training at the new camp were from NJ, where
                  Little Mac ended his service.

                  There is also Ft. McPherson in Atlanta. That goes back to 1867,
                  reconstruction occupation, and honoring the most senior Union officer
                  killed in the Atlanta Campaign.

                  Ron Dickey

                • richard@rcroker.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                    However, we Atlantans are loath to say, Fort McPherson is scheduled soon to be closed.