Re: Kennesaw Mountain NBP

  • barringer63
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
      jdpolaski@... wrote:

      > Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
      named of
      > Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named
      after
      > Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

      The exception to that, of course, being Fort Bragg, NC, named for
      Braxton Bragg, the best general the Union had. :-)

      Regards,
      Teej
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
        Teej;

        I fail to see how Bragg could be the best Yankee General the South
        had...esp. when you consider all the "real" Yankee generals they did
        have.... such as Pemberton, Cooper, etc.

        God. --Anonymous
        > Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
        named of
        > Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named
        after
        > Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

        The exception to that, of course, being Fort Bragg, NC, named for
        Braxton Bragg, the best general the Union had. :-)

        Regards,
        Teej
      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
          Fort McClellan was in Alabama.

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
            Harry Smeltzer wrote:

            > Fort McClellan was in Alabama.

            That's 'cause it was named for the best general the Confed...nah,
            that's too easy.

            Teej
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
              Like he said - generals with southern sympathies.

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                Don't make me kick your ass, Steve.

                Harry

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                  Of course Maryland has Fort George G. Meade, hmmm.

                  >>> <jdpolaski@...> 12/11/06 4:25 PM >>>
                  Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
                  named of
                  Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named after
                  Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

                • dickeyr46
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                    Ft. McClellan was one of the training encampments mobilized for WW I.
                    Two reaons have been given for the name... 1. Recognizing McClellan's
                    skill at training and organizing an army and 2. Because the first
                    soldiers arriving and training at the new camp were from NJ, where
                    Little Mac ended his service.

                    There is also Ft. McPherson in Atlanta. That goes back to 1867,
                    reconstruction occupation, and honoring the most senior Union officer
                    killed in the Atlanta Campaign.

                    Ron Dickey

                  • richard@rcroker.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                      However, we Atlantans are loath to say, Fort McPherson is scheduled soon to be closed.