Re: [TalkAntietam] Kennesaw Mountain NBP

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
      Yuppp... Good PR moves if you ask me.

      God. --Anonymous
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <jdpolaski@...>
      To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 4:25 PM
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Kennesaw Mountain NBP

      > Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
      > named of
      > Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named
      > after
      > Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

    • barringer63
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
        jdpolaski@... wrote:

        > Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
        named of
        > Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named
        after
        > Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

        The exception to that, of course, being Fort Bragg, NC, named for
        Braxton Bragg, the best general the Union had. :-)

        Regards,
        Teej
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
          Teej;

          I fail to see how Bragg could be the best Yankee General the South
          had...esp. when you consider all the "real" Yankee generals they did
          have.... such as Pemberton, Cooper, etc.

          God. --Anonymous
          > Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
          named of
          > Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named
          after
          > Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

          The exception to that, of course, being Fort Bragg, NC, named for
          Braxton Bragg, the best general the Union had. :-)

          Regards,
          Teej
        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
            Fort McClellan was in Alabama.

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
              Harry Smeltzer wrote:

              > Fort McClellan was in Alabama.

              That's 'cause it was named for the best general the Confed...nah,
              that's too easy.

              Teej
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                Like he said - generals with southern sympathies.

                Stephen

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                  Don't make me kick your ass, Steve.

                  Harry

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                    Of course Maryland has Fort George G. Meade, hmmm.

                    >>> <jdpolaski@...> 12/11/06 4:25 PM >>>
                    Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
                    named of
                    Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named after
                    Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

                  • dickeyr46
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                      Ft. McClellan was one of the training encampments mobilized for WW I.
                      Two reaons have been given for the name... 1. Recognizing McClellan's
                      skill at training and organizing an army and 2. Because the first
                      soldiers arriving and training at the new camp were from NJ, where
                      Little Mac ended his service.

                      There is also Ft. McPherson in Atlanta. That goes back to 1867,
                      reconstruction occupation, and honoring the most senior Union officer
                      killed in the Atlanta Campaign.

                      Ron Dickey

                    • richard@rcroker.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                        However, we Atlantans are loath to say, Fort McPherson is scheduled soon to be closed.