Re: [TalkAntietam] Kennesaw Mountain NBP

  • jdpolaski@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
      Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are named of
      Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named after
      Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
        Yuppp... Good PR moves if you ask me.

        God. --Anonymous
        > Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
        > named of
        > Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named
        > after
        > Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

      • barringer63
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
          jdpolaski@... wrote:

          > Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
          named of
          > Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named
          after
          > Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

          The exception to that, of course, being Fort Bragg, NC, named for
          Braxton Bragg, the best general the Union had. :-)

          Regards,
          Teej
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
            Teej;

            I fail to see how Bragg could be the best Yankee General the South
            had...esp. when you consider all the "real" Yankee generals they did
            have.... such as Pemberton, Cooper, etc.

            God. --Anonymous
            > Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
            named of
            > Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named
            after
            > Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

            The exception to that, of course, being Fort Bragg, NC, named for
            Braxton Bragg, the best general the Union had. :-)

            Regards,
            Teej
          • Harry Smeltzer
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
              Fort McClellan was in Alabama.

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                Harry Smeltzer wrote:

                > Fort McClellan was in Alabama.

                That's 'cause it was named for the best general the Confed...nah,
                that's too easy.

                Teej
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                  Like he said - generals with southern sympathies.

                  Stephen

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                    Don't make me kick your ass, Steve.

                    Harry

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                      Of course Maryland has Fort George G. Meade, hmmm.

                      >>> <jdpolaski@...> 12/11/06 4:25 PM >>>
                      Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
                      named of
                      Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named after
                      Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

                    • dickeyr46
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                        Ft. McClellan was one of the training encampments mobilized for WW I.
                        Two reaons have been given for the name... 1. Recognizing McClellan's
                        skill at training and organizing an army and 2. Because the first
                        soldiers arriving and training at the new camp were from NJ, where
                        Little Mac ended his service.

                        There is also Ft. McPherson in Atlanta. That goes back to 1867,
                        reconstruction occupation, and honoring the most senior Union officer
                        killed in the Atlanta Campaign.

                        Ron Dickey

                      • richard@rcroker.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                          However, we Atlantans are loath to say, Fort McPherson is scheduled soon to be closed.