Re: [TalkAntietam] Kennesaw Mountain NBP

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
      And I bet they were shunned for that!

      God. --Anonymous
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Stephen Recker" <recker@...>
      To: <TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 9:30 AM
      Subject: Re: [TalkAntietam] Kennesaw Mountain NBP

    • jdpolaski@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
        Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are named of
        Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named after
        Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
          Yuppp... Good PR moves if you ask me.

          God. --Anonymous
          > Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
          > named of
          > Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named
          > after
          > Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

        • barringer63
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
            jdpolaski@... wrote:

            > Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
            named of
            > Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named
            after
            > Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

            The exception to that, of course, being Fort Bragg, NC, named for
            Braxton Bragg, the best general the Union had. :-)

            Regards,
            Teej
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
              Teej;

              I fail to see how Bragg could be the best Yankee General the South
              had...esp. when you consider all the "real" Yankee generals they did
              have.... such as Pemberton, Cooper, etc.

              God. --Anonymous
              > Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
              named of
              > Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named
              after
              > Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

              The exception to that, of course, being Fort Bragg, NC, named for
              Braxton Bragg, the best general the Union had. :-)

              Regards,
              Teej
            • Harry Smeltzer
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                Fort McClellan was in Alabama.

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                  Harry Smeltzer wrote:

                  > Fort McClellan was in Alabama.

                  That's 'cause it was named for the best general the Confed...nah,
                  that's too easy.

                  Teej
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                    Like he said - generals with southern sympathies.

                    Stephen

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                      Don't make me kick your ass, Steve.

                      Harry

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                        Of course Maryland has Fort George G. Meade, hmmm.

                        >>> <jdpolaski@...> 12/11/06 4:25 PM >>>
                        Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
                        named of
                        Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named after
                        Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

                      • dickeyr46
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                          Ft. McClellan was one of the training encampments mobilized for WW I.
                          Two reaons have been given for the name... 1. Recognizing McClellan's
                          skill at training and organizing an army and 2. Because the first
                          soldiers arriving and training at the new camp were from NJ, where
                          Little Mac ended his service.

                          There is also Ft. McPherson in Atlanta. That goes back to 1867,
                          reconstruction occupation, and honoring the most senior Union officer
                          killed in the Atlanta Campaign.

                          Ron Dickey

                        • richard@rcroker.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                            However, we Atlantans are loath to say, Fort McPherson is scheduled soon to be closed.