Re: [TalkAntietam] Kennesaw Mountain NBP

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
      Don't feel bad not knowing who Sherman is <g>

      A girl from Winchester told me a story about some southern friends of
      hers from the Shenandoah Valley who wanted to name their son after a
      notable Civil War figure. They called the kid Sheridan.

      Stephen

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
        And I bet they were shunned for that!

        God. --Anonymous

      • jdpolaski@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
          Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are named of
          Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named after
          Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
            Yuppp... Good PR moves if you ask me.

            God. --Anonymous
            > Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
            > named of
            > Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named
            > after
            > Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

          • barringer63
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
              jdpolaski@... wrote:

              > Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
              named of
              > Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named
              after
              > Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

              The exception to that, of course, being Fort Bragg, NC, named for
              Braxton Bragg, the best general the Union had. :-)

              Regards,
              Teej
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                Teej;

                I fail to see how Bragg could be the best Yankee General the South
                had...esp. when you consider all the "real" Yankee generals they did
                have.... such as Pemberton, Cooper, etc.

                God. --Anonymous
                > Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
                named of
                > Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named
                after
                > Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

                The exception to that, of course, being Fort Bragg, NC, named for
                Braxton Bragg, the best general the Union had. :-)

                Regards,
                Teej
              • Harry Smeltzer
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                  Fort McClellan was in Alabama.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                    Harry Smeltzer wrote:

                    > Fort McClellan was in Alabama.

                    That's 'cause it was named for the best general the Confed...nah,
                    that's too easy.

                    Teej
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                      Like he said - generals with southern sympathies.

                      Stephen

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                        Don't make me kick your ass, Steve.

                        Harry

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                          Of course Maryland has Fort George G. Meade, hmmm.

                          >>> <jdpolaski@...> 12/11/06 4:25 PM >>>
                          Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
                          named of
                          Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named after
                          Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

                        • dickeyr46
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                            Ft. McClellan was one of the training encampments mobilized for WW I.
                            Two reaons have been given for the name... 1. Recognizing McClellan's
                            skill at training and organizing an army and 2. Because the first
                            soldiers arriving and training at the new camp were from NJ, where
                            Little Mac ended his service.

                            There is also Ft. McPherson in Atlanta. That goes back to 1867,
                            reconstruction occupation, and honoring the most senior Union officer
                            killed in the Atlanta Campaign.

                            Ron Dickey

                          • richard@rcroker.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                              However, we Atlantans are loath to say, Fort McPherson is scheduled soon to be closed.