Re: [TalkAntietam] Kennesaw Mountain NBP

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
      Thank you, sir. I guess they liked my books -- even though they're about what they tend to call "the OTHER war." I suspect there might be an "On to Atlanta" book in my future. At least the travel expenses would be minimal! Now -- who was this "Sherman" guy anyway? I know folks around these parts don't think too highly of him!!!!!! :-)
      My grandfather, in fact, used to spit whenever Sherman's name was mentioned!!!!!
      At least I've still got John Bell Hood and good ol' Fightin' Joe.

      'HERE LIES THE BODY OF THE CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA...
      DIED OF BRAXTON BRAGG.'

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
        Don't feel bad not knowing who Sherman is <g>

        A girl from Winchester told me a story about some southern friends of
        hers from the Shenandoah Valley who wanted to name their son after a
        notable Civil War figure. They called the kid Sheridan.

        Stephen

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
          And I bet they were shunned for that!

          God. --Anonymous

        • jdpolaski@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
            Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are named of
            Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named after
            Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
              Yuppp... Good PR moves if you ask me.

              God. --Anonymous
              > Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
              > named of
              > Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named
              > after
              > Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

            • barringer63
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                jdpolaski@... wrote:

                > Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
                named of
                > Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named
                after
                > Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

                The exception to that, of course, being Fort Bragg, NC, named for
                Braxton Bragg, the best general the Union had. :-)

                Regards,
                Teej
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                  Teej;

                  I fail to see how Bragg could be the best Yankee General the South
                  had...esp. when you consider all the "real" Yankee generals they did
                  have.... such as Pemberton, Cooper, etc.

                  God. --Anonymous
                  > Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
                  named of
                  > Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named
                  after
                  > Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

                  The exception to that, of course, being Fort Bragg, NC, named for
                  Braxton Bragg, the best general the Union had. :-)

                  Regards,
                  Teej
                • Harry Smeltzer
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                    Fort McClellan was in Alabama.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                      Harry Smeltzer wrote:

                      > Fort McClellan was in Alabama.

                      That's 'cause it was named for the best general the Confed...nah,
                      that's too easy.

                      Teej
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                        Like he said - generals with southern sympathies.

                        Stephen

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                          Don't make me kick your ass, Steve.

                          Harry

                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                            Of course Maryland has Fort George G. Meade, hmmm.

                            >>> <jdpolaski@...> 12/11/06 4:25 PM >>>
                            Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
                            named of
                            Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named after
                            Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

                          • dickeyr46
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                              Ft. McClellan was one of the training encampments mobilized for WW I.
                              Two reaons have been given for the name... 1. Recognizing McClellan's
                              skill at training and organizing an army and 2. Because the first
                              soldiers arriving and training at the new camp were from NJ, where
                              Little Mac ended his service.

                              There is also Ft. McPherson in Atlanta. That goes back to 1867,
                              reconstruction occupation, and honoring the most senior Union officer
                              killed in the Atlanta Campaign.

                              Ron Dickey

                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                                However, we Atlantans are loath to say, Fort McPherson is scheduled soon to be closed.