Re: [TalkAntietam] Kennesaw Mountain NBP

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 9, 2006
      Richard;

      Whoa! Congrats!?!?!?! What did y'all do to earn that honor?

      God. --Anonymous
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
        Thank you, sir. I guess they liked my books -- even though they're about what they tend to call "the OTHER war." I suspect there might be an "On to Atlanta" book in my future. At least the travel expenses would be minimal! Now -- who was this "Sherman" guy anyway? I know folks around these parts don't think too highly of him!!!!!! :-)
        My grandfather, in fact, used to spit whenever Sherman's name was mentioned!!!!!
        At least I've still got John Bell Hood and good ol' Fightin' Joe.

        'HERE LIES THE BODY OF THE CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA...
        DIED OF BRAXTON BRAGG.'

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
          Don't feel bad not knowing who Sherman is <g>

          A girl from Winchester told me a story about some southern friends of
          hers from the Shenandoah Valley who wanted to name their son after a
          notable Civil War figure. They called the kid Sheridan.

          Stephen

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
            And I bet they were shunned for that!

            God. --Anonymous

          • jdpolaski@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
              Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are named of
              Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named after
              Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                Yuppp... Good PR moves if you ask me.

                God. --Anonymous
                > Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
                > named of
                > Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named
                > after
                > Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

              • barringer63
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                  jdpolaski@... wrote:

                  > Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
                  named of
                  > Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named
                  after
                  > Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

                  The exception to that, of course, being Fort Bragg, NC, named for
                  Braxton Bragg, the best general the Union had. :-)

                  Regards,
                  Teej
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                    Teej;

                    I fail to see how Bragg could be the best Yankee General the South
                    had...esp. when you consider all the "real" Yankee generals they did
                    have.... such as Pemberton, Cooper, etc.

                    God. --Anonymous
                    > Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
                    named of
                    > Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named
                    after
                    > Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

                    The exception to that, of course, being Fort Bragg, NC, named for
                    Braxton Bragg, the best general the Union had. :-)

                    Regards,
                    Teej
                  • Harry Smeltzer
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                      Fort McClellan was in Alabama.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                        Harry Smeltzer wrote:

                        > Fort McClellan was in Alabama.

                        That's 'cause it was named for the best general the Confed...nah,
                        that's too easy.

                        Teej
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                          Like he said - generals with southern sympathies.

                          Stephen

                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                            Don't make me kick your ass, Steve.

                            Harry

                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                              Of course Maryland has Fort George G. Meade, hmmm.

                              >>> <jdpolaski@...> 12/11/06 4:25 PM >>>
                              Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
                              named of
                              Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named after
                              Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

                            • dickeyr46
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                                Ft. McClellan was one of the training encampments mobilized for WW I.
                                Two reaons have been given for the name... 1. Recognizing McClellan's
                                skill at training and organizing an army and 2. Because the first
                                soldiers arriving and training at the new camp were from NJ, where
                                Little Mac ended his service.

                                There is also Ft. McPherson in Atlanta. That goes back to 1867,
                                reconstruction occupation, and honoring the most senior Union officer
                                killed in the Atlanta Campaign.

                                Ron Dickey

                              • richard@rcroker.com
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                                  However, we Atlantans are loath to say, Fort McPherson is scheduled soon to be closed.