Kennesaw Mountain NBP

  • richard@rcroker.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 8, 2006
      Guys -- (and Gals), I've just been appointed to the Board of Trustees of the Kennesaw Mountain NBP Historical Asso. so if you're ever in or around Atlanta, drop me a line and I'll try to arrange a "special" tour. It really is a beautiful park.
      BTW -- I guess I'd better brush up on the war in the West, huh? Who IS this guy Sherman anyway?

      Richard

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 9, 2006
        Richard;

        Whoa! Congrats!?!?!?! What did y'all do to earn that honor?

        God. --Anonymous

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
          Thank you, sir. I guess they liked my books -- even though they're about what they tend to call "the OTHER war." I suspect there might be an "On to Atlanta" book in my future. At least the travel expenses would be minimal! Now -- who was this "Sherman" guy anyway? I know folks around these parts don't think too highly of him!!!!!! :-)
          My grandfather, in fact, used to spit whenever Sherman's name was mentioned!!!!!
          At least I've still got John Bell Hood and good ol' Fightin' Joe.

          'HERE LIES THE BODY OF THE CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA...
          DIED OF BRAXTON BRAGG.'

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
            Don't feel bad not knowing who Sherman is <g>

            A girl from Winchester told me a story about some southern friends of
            hers from the Shenandoah Valley who wanted to name their son after a
            notable Civil War figure. They called the kid Sheridan.

            Stephen

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
              And I bet they were shunned for that!

              God. --Anonymous

            • jdpolaski@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are named of
                Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named after
                Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                  Yuppp... Good PR moves if you ask me.

                  God. --Anonymous
                  > Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
                  > named of
                  > Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named
                  > after
                  > Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

                • barringer63
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                    jdpolaski@... wrote:

                    > Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
                    named of
                    > Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named
                    after
                    > Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

                    The exception to that, of course, being Fort Bragg, NC, named for
                    Braxton Bragg, the best general the Union had. :-)

                    Regards,
                    Teej
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                      Teej;

                      I fail to see how Bragg could be the best Yankee General the South
                      had...esp. when you consider all the "real" Yankee generals they did
                      have.... such as Pemberton, Cooper, etc.

                      God. --Anonymous
                      > Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
                      named of
                      > Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named
                      after
                      > Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

                      The exception to that, of course, being Fort Bragg, NC, named for
                      Braxton Bragg, the best general the Union had. :-)

                      Regards,
                      Teej
                    • Harry Smeltzer
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                        Fort McClellan was in Alabama.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                          Harry Smeltzer wrote:

                          > Fort McClellan was in Alabama.

                          That's 'cause it was named for the best general the Confed...nah,
                          that's too easy.

                          Teej
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                            Like he said - generals with southern sympathies.

                            Stephen

                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                              Don't make me kick your ass, Steve.

                              Harry

                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 11, 2006
                                Of course Maryland has Fort George G. Meade, hmmm.

                                >>> <jdpolaski@...> 12/11/06 4:25 PM >>>
                                Did you ever notice that all the southern states, the Army post are
                                named of
                                Confederate Generals. And the same with the North they are named after
                                Northern Generals. Just a little tid bit of information.

                              • dickeyr46
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                                  Ft. McClellan was one of the training encampments mobilized for WW I.
                                  Two reaons have been given for the name... 1. Recognizing McClellan's
                                  skill at training and organizing an army and 2. Because the first
                                  soldiers arriving and training at the new camp were from NJ, where
                                  Little Mac ended his service.

                                  There is also Ft. McPherson in Atlanta. That goes back to 1867,
                                  reconstruction occupation, and honoring the most senior Union officer
                                  killed in the Atlanta Campaign.

                                  Ron Dickey

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 12, 2006
                                    However, we Atlantans are loath to say, Fort McPherson is scheduled soon to be closed.