Re: [TalkAntietam] AoNV Victory

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 28, 2006
      Nonsense! He left the field in possession of the enemy, just like at Gettysburg. If Lee "won" at Antietam, then he "won" at Gettysburg, Bragg, "won" at Perryvile, etc.

      Technically speaking, Lee did "win" the Battle of Antietam/Sharpsburg.
      At the end of the day on September 17th, even though his army (ANV)
      had been battered almost into extinction, his opponent could only
      count a gain of a few hundred yards all along his line.

      God. --Anonymous
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 28, 2006
        The Steelers will play again this coming weekend, but that doesn't mean they
        won in Baltimore on Sunday!

        Harry

        Nonsense! He left the field in possession of the enemy, just like at
        Gettysburg. If Lee "won" at Antietam, then he "won" at Gettysburg, Bragg,
        "won" at Perryvile, etc.

        >>> "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@fast. <mailto:gerry1952%40fast.net> net>
        11/27/06 11:13 PM >>>

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 28, 2006
          No they sure didn't, sorry about that Harry.

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 28, 2006
            This isn't any help at all!

            I don't care about "technical", having heard all the BS about Lee's
            victories from Antietam to the Overland Campaign. I need a realistic
            way, that the AoNV holds the field and the AOP falls back.

            Any ideas?

            James
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 28, 2006
              James,

              If that is what you want, then may I suggest Dixie Victorious, a book
              of essays (counter factuals) about how the South could have won the
              war? There are a couple of essays dealing with Sharpsburg and the
              battles around South Mountain.

              God. --Anonymous

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                I just got a 13th New Jersey commemorative badge that has:

                D=Society

                ...on it. Anyone have any idea what this means? Thanks.

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                  Stephen,

                  Can you share a photo with us?

                  God. --Anonymous

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                    You betcha:

                    http://www.virtualantietam.com/dan_transfer/13NJ_society.jpg

                    Thanks.
                    -sjr

                    On Tuesday, December 5, 2006, at 02:11 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                    > Stephen,
                    >
                    > Can you share a photo with us?

                  • Brian Downey
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                      Hi Stephen,

                      It looks like it might refer to Company D. See a clue from the NJ
                      Historical Society here:

                      http://www.jerseyhistory.org/findingaid.php?aid=0352

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                        Brian,

                        Yow, that's some clue. Many thanks. Amazing.

                        Cheers,
                        Stephen