Re: Help with Reasearch

  • dickeyr46
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 28, 2006
      Mike,

      The casualties reported on the NPS site are broken down by the
      traditional "Morning," "Mid-day," and "Afternoon" phases. Morning
      lumps together The Cornfield, West Woods, and around the Dunker
      Church. These figures come from the Official Records and from the
      Antietam Battlefield Board.

      Dr. Harsh in "Taken at the Flood" (p. 376) attributes 8,700 casualties
      to the 160 acres of the Cornfield and East Woods and occurring before
      9 am. I assume this includes the pastures south and west of The
      Cornfield. On p. 394 he attributes 4,481 casualties to the fighting in
      the West Woods and around the Dunker Church.

      Agree with Stephen, probably another 3,650 soldiers scummed fairly
      quickly to their wounds.

      Regards,
      Ron Dickey