Re: [TalkAntietam] Help with Reasearch

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 28, 2006
      Mike,

      The NPS site is probably a good place to start:
      http://www.nps.gov/anti/historyculture/casualties.htm

      This site states that 3,650 were killed. It is important to remember,
      though, that many people use that number, but then also use a number
      twice as large as having died from their wounds within two weeks.

      Stephen

      On Monday, November 27, 2006, at 10:58 PM, Darmok4349@... wrote:

      > Does anyone have a good reliable source that would give details on the
      > casualties on both sides for each part of the Battle. How many on the
      > cornfield
      > and in the sunken road and so on.
      >
      > Mike
    • dickeyr46
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 28, 2006
        Mike,

        The casualties reported on the NPS site are broken down by the
        traditional "Morning," "Mid-day," and "Afternoon" phases. Morning
        lumps together The Cornfield, West Woods, and around the Dunker
        Church. These figures come from the Official Records and from the
        Antietam Battlefield Board.

        Dr. Harsh in "Taken at the Flood" (p. 376) attributes 8,700 casualties
        to the 160 acres of the Cornfield and East Woods and occurring before
        9 am. I assume this includes the pastures south and west of The
        Cornfield. On p. 394 he attributes 4,481 casualties to the fighting in
        the West Woods and around the Dunker Church.

        Agree with Stephen, probably another 3,650 soldiers scummed fairly
        quickly to their wounds.

        Regards,
        Ron Dickey