Re: [TalkAntietam] Help with Reasearch

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 27, 2006
      Casualty figures, accurate casualty figures, for each major component
      of the battle is a tough call.

      Go to Antietam on the Web website via Google and see what it says
      there.

      God. --Anonymous
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 28, 2006
        Mike,

        The NPS site is probably a good place to start:
        http://www.nps.gov/anti/historyculture/casualties.htm

        This site states that 3,650 were killed. It is important to remember,
        though, that many people use that number, but then also use a number
        twice as large as having died from their wounds within two weeks.

        Stephen

        On Monday, November 27, 2006, at 10:58 PM, Darmok4349@... wrote:

        > Does anyone have a good reliable source that would give details on the
        > casualties on both sides for each part of the Battle. How many on the
        > cornfield
        > and in the sunken road and so on.
        >
        > Mike
      • dickeyr46
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 28, 2006
          Mike,

          The casualties reported on the NPS site are broken down by the
          traditional "Morning," "Mid-day," and "Afternoon" phases. Morning
          lumps together The Cornfield, West Woods, and around the Dunker
          Church. These figures come from the Official Records and from the
          Antietam Battlefield Board.

          Dr. Harsh in "Taken at the Flood" (p. 376) attributes 8,700 casualties
          to the 160 acres of the Cornfield and East Woods and occurring before
          9 am. I assume this includes the pastures south and west of The
          Cornfield. On p. 394 he attributes 4,481 casualties to the fighting in
          the West Woods and around the Dunker Church.

          Agree with Stephen, probably another 3,650 soldiers scummed fairly
          quickly to their wounds.

          Regards,
          Ron Dickey