Re: [TalkAntietam] AoNV Victory

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 27, 2006
      Technically speaking, Lee did "win" the Battle of Antietam/Sharpsburg.
      At the end of the day on September 17th, even though his army (ANV)
      had been battered almost into extinction, his opponent could only
      count a gain of a few hundred yards all along his line.

      God. --Anonymous
      Is it possible for the AoNV to "win" this battle? This would have to
      be done w/o major changes to the history of the battle. However, that
      night, the AOP would have to leave the field in possion of the AoNV.

      Any suggestions?

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 28, 2006
          The Steelers will play again this coming weekend, but that doesn't mean they
          won in Baltimore on Sunday!

          Harry

          Nonsense! He left the field in possession of the enemy, just like at
          Gettysburg. If Lee "won" at Antietam, then he "won" at Gettysburg, Bragg,
          "won" at Perryvile, etc.

          >>> "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@fast. <mailto:gerry1952%40fast.net> net>
          11/27/06 11:13 PM >>>

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 28, 2006
            No they sure didn't, sorry about that Harry.

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 28, 2006
              This isn't any help at all!

              I don't care about "technical", having heard all the BS about Lee's
              victories from Antietam to the Overland Campaign. I need a realistic
              way, that the AoNV holds the field and the AOP falls back.

              Any ideas?

              James
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 28, 2006
                James,

                If that is what you want, then may I suggest Dixie Victorious, a book
                of essays (counter factuals) about how the South could have won the
                war? There are a couple of essays dealing with Sharpsburg and the
                battles around South Mountain.

                God. --Anonymous

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                  I just got a 13th New Jersey commemorative badge that has:

                  D=Society

                  ...on it. Anyone have any idea what this means? Thanks.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                    Stephen,

                    Can you share a photo with us?

                    God. --Anonymous

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                      You betcha:

                      http://www.virtualantietam.com/dan_transfer/13NJ_society.jpg

                      Thanks.
                      -sjr

                      On Tuesday, December 5, 2006, at 02:11 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                      > Stephen,
                      >
                      > Can you share a photo with us?

                    • Brian Downey
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                        Hi Stephen,

                        It looks like it might refer to Company D. See a clue from the NJ
                        Historical Society here:

                        http://www.jerseyhistory.org/findingaid.php?aid=0352

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                          Brian,

                          Yow, that's some clue. Many thanks. Amazing.

                          Cheers,
                          Stephen