Re: [TalkAntietam] Help with Reasearch

  • Darmok4349@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 27, 2006
      Does anyone have a good reliable source that would give details on the
      casualties on both sides for each part of the Battle. How many on the cornfield
      and in the sunken road and so on.

      Mike

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 27, 2006
        Casualty figures, accurate casualty figures, for each major component
        of the battle is a tough call.

        Go to Antietam on the Web website via Google and see what it says
        there.

        God. --Anonymous
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 28, 2006
          Mike,

          The NPS site is probably a good place to start:
          http://www.nps.gov/anti/historyculture/casualties.htm

          This site states that 3,650 were killed. It is important to remember,
          though, that many people use that number, but then also use a number
          twice as large as having died from their wounds within two weeks.

          Stephen

          On Monday, November 27, 2006, at 10:58 PM, Darmok4349@... wrote:

          > Does anyone have a good reliable source that would give details on the
          > casualties on both sides for each part of the Battle. How many on the
          > cornfield
          > and in the sunken road and so on.
          >
          > Mike
        • dickeyr46
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 28, 2006
            Mike,

            The casualties reported on the NPS site are broken down by the
            traditional "Morning," "Mid-day," and "Afternoon" phases. Morning
            lumps together The Cornfield, West Woods, and around the Dunker
            Church. These figures come from the Official Records and from the
            Antietam Battlefield Board.

            Dr. Harsh in "Taken at the Flood" (p. 376) attributes 8,700 casualties
            to the 160 acres of the Cornfield and East Woods and occurring before
            9 am. I assume this includes the pastures south and west of The
            Cornfield. On p. 394 he attributes 4,481 casualties to the fighting in
            the West Woods and around the Dunker Church.

            Agree with Stephen, probably another 3,650 soldiers scummed fairly
            quickly to their wounds.

            Regards,
            Ron Dickey