AoNV Victory

  • James W. Durney
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 27, 2006
      Is it possible for the AoNV to "win" this battle? This would have to
      be done w/o major changes to the history of the battle. However, that
      night, the AOP would have to leave the field in possion of the AoNV.

      Any suggestions?
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 27, 2006
        Technically speaking, Lee did "win" the Battle of Antietam/Sharpsburg.
        At the end of the day on September 17th, even though his army (ANV)
        had been battered almost into extinction, his opponent could only
        count a gain of a few hundred yards all along his line.

        God. --Anonymous

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 28, 2006
            The Steelers will play again this coming weekend, but that doesn't mean they
            won in Baltimore on Sunday!

            Harry

            Nonsense! He left the field in possession of the enemy, just like at
            Gettysburg. If Lee "won" at Antietam, then he "won" at Gettysburg, Bragg,
            "won" at Perryvile, etc.

            >>> "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@fast. <mailto:gerry1952%40fast.net> net>
            11/27/06 11:13 PM >>>

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 28, 2006
              No they sure didn't, sorry about that Harry.

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 28, 2006
                This isn't any help at all!

                I don't care about "technical", having heard all the BS about Lee's
                victories from Antietam to the Overland Campaign. I need a realistic
                way, that the AoNV holds the field and the AOP falls back.

                Any ideas?

                James
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 28, 2006
                  James,

                  If that is what you want, then may I suggest Dixie Victorious, a book
                  of essays (counter factuals) about how the South could have won the
                  war? There are a couple of essays dealing with Sharpsburg and the
                  battles around South Mountain.

                  God. --Anonymous

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                    I just got a 13th New Jersey commemorative badge that has:

                    D=Society

                    ...on it. Anyone have any idea what this means? Thanks.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                      Stephen,

                      Can you share a photo with us?

                      God. --Anonymous

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                        You betcha:

                        http://www.virtualantietam.com/dan_transfer/13NJ_society.jpg

                        Thanks.
                        -sjr

                        On Tuesday, December 5, 2006, at 02:11 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

                        > Stephen,
                        >
                        > Can you share a photo with us?

                      • Brian Downey
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                          Hi Stephen,

                          It looks like it might refer to Company D. See a clue from the NJ
                          Historical Society here:

                          http://www.jerseyhistory.org/findingaid.php?aid=0352

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 5, 2006
                            Brian,

                            Yow, that's some clue. Many thanks. Amazing.

                            Cheers,
                            Stephen