Re: [TalkAntietam] Help with Reasearch

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 27, 2006
      Dear Mike,

      What other information do you need to check?

      God. --Anonymous
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 27, 2006
        Does anyone have a good reliable source that would give details on the
        casualties on both sides for each part of the Battle. How many on the cornfield
        and in the sunken road and so on.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 27, 2006
          Casualty figures, accurate casualty figures, for each major component
          of the battle is a tough call.

          Go to Antietam on the Web website via Google and see what it says
          there.

          God. --Anonymous
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 28, 2006
            Mike,

            The NPS site is probably a good place to start:
            http://www.nps.gov/anti/historyculture/casualties.htm

            This site states that 3,650 were killed. It is important to remember,
            though, that many people use that number, but then also use a number
            twice as large as having died from their wounds within two weeks.

            Stephen

            On Monday, November 27, 2006, at 10:58 PM, Darmok4349@... wrote:

            > Does anyone have a good reliable source that would give details on the
            > casualties on both sides for each part of the Battle. How many on the
            > cornfield
            > and in the sunken road and so on.
            >
            > Mike
          • dickeyr46
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 28, 2006
              Mike,

              The casualties reported on the NPS site are broken down by the
              traditional "Morning," "Mid-day," and "Afternoon" phases. Morning
              lumps together The Cornfield, West Woods, and around the Dunker
              Church. These figures come from the Official Records and from the
              Antietam Battlefield Board.

              Dr. Harsh in "Taken at the Flood" (p. 376) attributes 8,700 casualties
              to the 160 acres of the Cornfield and East Woods and occurring before
              9 am. I assume this includes the pastures south and west of The
              Cornfield. On p. 394 he attributes 4,481 casualties to the fighting in
              the West Woods and around the Dunker Church.

              Agree with Stephen, probably another 3,650 soldiers scummed fairly
              quickly to their wounds.

              Regards,
              Ron Dickey