Re: [TalkAntietam] Help with Reasearch

  • Darmok4349@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 26, 2006
      In a message dated 11/26/2006 8:48:16 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
      RoteBaron@... writes:

      293

      Thanks!!!

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 27, 2006
        Dear Mike,

        What other information do you need to check?

        God. --Anonymous
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 27, 2006
          Does anyone have a good reliable source that would give details on the
          casualties on both sides for each part of the Battle. How many on the cornfield
          and in the sunken road and so on.

          Mike

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 27, 2006
            Casualty figures, accurate casualty figures, for each major component
            of the battle is a tough call.

            Go to Antietam on the Web website via Google and see what it says
            there.

            God. --Anonymous
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 28, 2006
              Mike,

              The NPS site is probably a good place to start:
              http://www.nps.gov/anti/historyculture/casualties.htm

              This site states that 3,650 were killed. It is important to remember,
              though, that many people use that number, but then also use a number
              twice as large as having died from their wounds within two weeks.

              Stephen

              On Monday, November 27, 2006, at 10:58 PM, Darmok4349@... wrote:

              > Does anyone have a good reliable source that would give details on the
              > casualties on both sides for each part of the Battle. How many on the
              > cornfield
              > and in the sunken road and so on.
              >
              > Mike
            • dickeyr46
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 28, 2006
                Mike,

                The casualties reported on the NPS site are broken down by the
                traditional "Morning," "Mid-day," and "Afternoon" phases. Morning
                lumps together The Cornfield, West Woods, and around the Dunker
                Church. These figures come from the Official Records and from the
                Antietam Battlefield Board.

                Dr. Harsh in "Taken at the Flood" (p. 376) attributes 8,700 casualties
                to the 160 acres of the Cornfield and East Woods and occurring before
                9 am. I assume this includes the pastures south and west of The
                Cornfield. On p. 394 he attributes 4,481 casualties to the fighting in
                the West Woods and around the Dunker Church.

                Agree with Stephen, probably another 3,650 soldiers scummed fairly
                quickly to their wounds.

                Regards,
                Ron Dickey