Re: [TalkAntietam] Help with Reasearch

  • Tom Shay
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 26, 2006
      How many did Jackson capture at Harpers Ferry?
      71 cannon
      Source: Blue & Gray Magazine December 1998 (page 10)

      How many did each side have at the start of the battle?
      Confederate: 246 and Union: 293
      Source: Blue & Gray Magazine December 1998 (page 10)

      And did any of those make it to the battle on the 17th?
      No batteries from the captured booty at Harpers Ferry joined Gen. Lee at Sharpsburg.
      Source is ANTIETAM REVEALED by Dennis Frye (page 65)

    • Darmok4349@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 26, 2006
        In a message dated 11/26/2006 8:48:16 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
        RoteBaron@... writes:

        293

        Thanks!!!

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 27, 2006
          Dear Mike,

          What other information do you need to check?

          God. --Anonymous
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 27, 2006
            Does anyone have a good reliable source that would give details on the
            casualties on both sides for each part of the Battle. How many on the cornfield
            and in the sunken road and so on.

            Mike

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 27, 2006
              Casualty figures, accurate casualty figures, for each major component
              of the battle is a tough call.

              Go to Antietam on the Web website via Google and see what it says
              there.

              God. --Anonymous
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 28, 2006
                Mike,

                The NPS site is probably a good place to start:
                http://www.nps.gov/anti/historyculture/casualties.htm

                This site states that 3,650 were killed. It is important to remember,
                though, that many people use that number, but then also use a number
                twice as large as having died from their wounds within two weeks.

                Stephen

                On Monday, November 27, 2006, at 10:58 PM, Darmok4349@... wrote:

                > Does anyone have a good reliable source that would give details on the
                > casualties on both sides for each part of the Battle. How many on the
                > cornfield
                > and in the sunken road and so on.
                >
                > Mike
              • dickeyr46
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 28, 2006
                  Mike,

                  The casualties reported on the NPS site are broken down by the
                  traditional "Morning," "Mid-day," and "Afternoon" phases. Morning
                  lumps together The Cornfield, West Woods, and around the Dunker
                  Church. These figures come from the Official Records and from the
                  Antietam Battlefield Board.

                  Dr. Harsh in "Taken at the Flood" (p. 376) attributes 8,700 casualties
                  to the 160 acres of the Cornfield and East Woods and occurring before
                  9 am. I assume this includes the pastures south and west of The
                  Cornfield. On p. 394 he attributes 4,481 casualties to the fighting in
                  the West Woods and around the Dunker Church.

                  Agree with Stephen, probably another 3,650 soldiers scummed fairly
                  quickly to their wounds.

                  Regards,
                  Ron Dickey