Help with Reasearch

  • Darmok4349@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 26, 2006
      All,

      I am currently working on a script for a video on the Maryland campaign
      including the Battle of Antietam.

      I was hoping I could check some facts with the group from time to time as I
      go.

      First question - I am having some trouble finding out exactly how many
      pieces of artillery each side had at the outset of the campaign. How many did each
      side have at the start of the battle? How many did Jackson capture at
      Harpers Ferry? And did any of those make it to the battle on the 17th.?

      Mike

    • Tom Shay
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 26, 2006
        How many did Jackson capture at Harpers Ferry?
        71 cannon
        Source: Blue & Gray Magazine December 1998 (page 10)

        How many did each side have at the start of the battle?
        Confederate: 246 and Union: 293
        Source: Blue & Gray Magazine December 1998 (page 10)

        And did any of those make it to the battle on the 17th?
        No batteries from the captured booty at Harpers Ferry joined Gen. Lee at Sharpsburg.
        Source is ANTIETAM REVEALED by Dennis Frye (page 65)

      • Darmok4349@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 26, 2006
          In a message dated 11/26/2006 8:48:16 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
          RoteBaron@... writes:

          293

          Thanks!!!

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 27, 2006
            Dear Mike,

            What other information do you need to check?

            God. --Anonymous

          • Darmok4349@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 27, 2006
              Does anyone have a good reliable source that would give details on the
              casualties on both sides for each part of the Battle. How many on the cornfield
              and in the sunken road and so on.

              Mike

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 27, 2006
                Casualty figures, accurate casualty figures, for each major component
                of the battle is a tough call.

                Go to Antietam on the Web website via Google and see what it says
                there.

                God. --Anonymous
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 28, 2006
                  Mike,

                  The NPS site is probably a good place to start:
                  http://www.nps.gov/anti/historyculture/casualties.htm

                  This site states that 3,650 were killed. It is important to remember,
                  though, that many people use that number, but then also use a number
                  twice as large as having died from their wounds within two weeks.

                  Stephen

                  On Monday, November 27, 2006, at 10:58 PM, Darmok4349@... wrote:

                  > Does anyone have a good reliable source that would give details on the
                  > casualties on both sides for each part of the Battle. How many on the
                  > cornfield
                  > and in the sunken road and so on.
                  >
                  > Mike
                • dickeyr46
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 28, 2006
                    Mike,

                    The casualties reported on the NPS site are broken down by the
                    traditional "Morning," "Mid-day," and "Afternoon" phases. Morning
                    lumps together The Cornfield, West Woods, and around the Dunker
                    Church. These figures come from the Official Records and from the
                    Antietam Battlefield Board.

                    Dr. Harsh in "Taken at the Flood" (p. 376) attributes 8,700 casualties
                    to the 160 acres of the Cornfield and East Woods and occurring before
                    9 am. I assume this includes the pastures south and west of The
                    Cornfield. On p. 394 he attributes 4,481 casualties to the fighting in
                    the West Woods and around the Dunker Church.

                    Agree with Stephen, probably another 3,650 soldiers scummed fairly
                    quickly to their wounds.

                    Regards,
                    Ron Dickey